My first fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

James02

Feeling the Heat
Aug 18, 2011
N.Y.S.
Ok, so....Had the "break in fire". Nothing great but did get the room up a few degrees. I did use some kindling type wood and it was admittedly less than seasoned. I know there won't be a chimney fire after one burn, what are the warning signs. How ofter should it bewas swept? I hopefully have bout a month left for my real wood to season.

Nice! If your wood is not well seasoned, I think most folks recommend at least once/month of inspection/sweeping of the chimney. Tell tale signs will be a lot of buildup in the chimney - especially watch for black, tar-like creosote. Don't try to dampen down your air too much in order to extend the burn if your wood is unseasoned. Try to keep the fire hot. Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Nice! If your wood is not well seasoned, I think most folks recommend at least once/month of inspection/sweeping of the chimney. Tell tale signs will be a lot of buildup in the chimney - especially watch for black, tar-like creosote. Don't try to dampen down your air too much in order to extend the burn if your wood is unseasoned. Try to keep the fire hot. Cheers!

Thanks...supposedly its going to stop raining for a few days, but figured it would be a good chance for a starter/break in fire. Used the top down method and it worked well I think.

James02 said:
Ok, so....Had the "break in fire". Nothing great but did get the room up a few degrees. I did use some kindling type wood and it was admittedly less than seasoned. I know there won't be a chimney fire after one burn, what are the warning signs. How ofter should it bewas swept? I hopefully have bout a month left for my real wood to season.

Preventative warning signs: Pretty much looking up or down through the chimney and seeing a quarter inch or more of creosote build up . . . although I would say I wouldn't be too worried until there was maybe a half inch of build up . . . assuming it is the fluffy cotton-like wisps or burned popcorn look . . . if you're talking a glazed black sheen I would be very concerned.

Warning sign that you have a chimney fire in progress: May include some or all of the following -- flames shooting through the chimney, locomotive/jet sounding as though it is taking off in your chimney, the sound of rice krispies falling down and making tinkling sounds in your stove pipe, red-hot stove pipe.

My personal recommendation to new burners . . . check your chimney monthly and schedule or sweep it yourself when there is a half inch or so of build up. Since I have my own equipment and can do a sweep from the ground up in about 10-15 minutes (and I would never live it down if I had a chimney fire and the guys at the station heard about it) . . . I check and sweep monthly whether the chimney needs it or not.

firefighterjake said:
James02 said:

Preventative warning signs: Pretty much looking up or down through the chimney and seeing a quarter inch or more of creosote build up . . . although I would say I wouldn't be too worried until there was maybe a half inch of build up . . . assuming it is the fluffy cotton-like wisps or burned popcorn look . . . if you're talking a glazed black sheen I would be very concerned.

Warning sign that you have a chimney fire in progress: May include some or all of the following -- flames shooting through the chimney, locomotive/jet sounding as though it is taking off in your chimney, the sound of rice krispies falling down and making tinkling sounds in your stove pipe, red-hot stove pipe.

My personal recommendation to new burners . . . check your chimney monthly and schedule or sweep it yourself when there is a half inch or so of build up. Since I have my own equipment and can do a sweep from the ground up in about 10-15 minutes (and I would never live it down if I had a chimney fire and the guys at the station heard about it) . . . I check and sweep monthly whether the chimney needs it or not.

SO Jake, as a fellow FF maybe you might have an answer for me...Why doesn't the Creosote burn off during really roaring fires??

PS:....How'd your boys enjoy their trip to NY??

It gathers where there is not enough heat to burn it off.Cools down and sticks.Correct me if wrong

Bub381 said:
It gathers where there is not enough heat to burn it off.Cools down and sticks.Correct me if wrong

Works for me....didn't want to assume....

James02 said:
firefighterjake said:
James02 said:

SO Jake, as a fellow FF maybe you might have an answer for me...Why doesn't the Creosote burn off during really roaring fires??

PS:....How'd your boys enjoy their trip to NY??

Bub pretty much answered the question . . . most of it will be at the top of the chimney where it is cooler . . . of course some may be in the rest of the chimney . . . and it can and will ignite if the conditions are right (or would that be if the conditions are wrong?)

You know . . . I'm not sure . . . I didn't ask my buddy how their trip was in NY . . . and I even camped out with him the following weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.