My favorite new piece of gear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

w00zy

Oct 17, 2016
Ithaca, NY
It's just a ramp, no more armfuls of wood up the stairs.
Screenshot_20191014-181105.png

Reactions: VirginiaIron
That works for me.

Am I envisioning this correctly??? A wheel barrow full of wood, pushed up a ramp on the steps?? Tell me I am missing something.

Reactions: MrWhoopee
I use large poly (like a tarp) bags for bringing in kindling and firewood. They keep the mess and any spiders contained.

Am I envisioning this correctly??? A wheel barrow full of wood, pushed up a ramp on the steps?? Tell me I am missing something.
You just need to get a good run at it! (For my back patio, it is just a short piece of 3/4 ply) to get the wheelbarrow up to the racks).

I was loading my free split wood this way--neighbors moved out and told me to grab the split wood, so I did a single one of my HF galvanized ramps onto the tailgate and would aim carefully and let it rip. Not full barrows though...

You just need to get a good run at it! (For my back patio, it is just a short piece of 3/4 ply) to get the wheelbarrow up to the racks).

I was loading my free split wood this way--neighbors moved out and told me to grab the split wood, so I did a single one of my HF galvanized ramps onto the tailgate and would aim carefully and let it rip. Not full barrows though...

Suppose that works, although a slight miscalculation could be painful.

Pushing a loaded wheelbarrow UP a flat, narrow ramp is, at the very least, challenging. Some 1x4 guides attached to the sides of the ramp might reduce the chances of running off. Did that on the ramp I used to use when rolling rounds into the truck.

I used to have a house with a cedar deck that was our primary ingress/egress from the house. I can tell you from more than a dozen years experience falling down those steps and landing on my ass that wooden deck stairs in winter in the icy northeast are suicidal, even when you’re not pushing a wheelbarrow. Hopefully your late winter weather is not like ours.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I have four or five of these bags. I use them to store kindling and bring firewood inside. This bag will hold a day or so worth of wood in the coldest part of winter.

Attachments

• 20191022_090935.jpg
    20191022_090935.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 166
Reactions: paredown and Ashful
Some of you obviously never saw a demolition job in NYC. Fully loaded wheel barrows of debris up a narrow ramp into the back of a dump truck. I'm lucky that I was the guy with the check book not the wheel barrow. :)

I think we need a video of this just so that we are all clear as to how it works :D.

Reactions: WiscWoody
I have four or five of these bags. I use them to store kindling and bring firewood inside. This bag will hold a day or so worth of wood in the coldest part of winter.
Yah, Ikea!

Great idea, thanks--I have a set of bags from Germany like that--they were the approved recycling totes, and I hadn't thought about re-purposing them fo rkindling.

Reactions: SpaceBus
That makes my lower back hurt just looking at it. Be safe.

Some of you obviously never saw a demolition job in NYC. Fully loaded wheel barrows of debris up a narrow ramp into the back of a dump truck. I'm lucky that I was the guy with the check book not the wheel barrow. :)
We do the same thing in st louis. I do demo work and had to wheel block and brick and ceramic tile into a dump trailer. Fun fun as long as its dry.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000