My DIY install - 5100i and Forever Flex Hybrid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

ewang

Hearth Supporter
Nov 11, 2010
Wisconsin
Purchased a house built in the 70's, which has a beautiful masonry fireplace in the center of the house, located in the living room. The stone on the wall and hearth were harvested from the property while the foundation was being dug. This stone also covers approximately 60% of the outside of the house as well as the top of my chimney.

I had two dealers stop by and I didn't get a very good feeling about either of their install capabilities. So after much looking on this forum, I've taken the deep dive on installing it myself.

First thing I needed to do was have a new crown poured on my chimney as the original crown was in disrepair. I hired this out as I'm already pushing the weather's timeline and I'm not experienced with concrete. This ran ~$900, which included a chimney sweep.

After the sweep I proceeded to rip off the existing doors and start grinding out the damper and smoke shelf. Couple things I learned here:
  • Milwaukee Diablo metal blades for a reciprocating saw work amazingly well. Highly recommended
  • Used a plastic shroud around the fireplace opening to keep dust/creosote at bay
  • Use a redneck fan at the top of the chimney to draw a draft to evacuate said dust and creosote
One thing I found while cutting out the smoke shelf is the burn chamber in the fireplace had been poorly repaired with scabbed metal and there was a hole in one of the corners. Luckily, we didn't burn the house down.

After the grinding, we performed a final clean on the stone. I fabricated a metal bottom for the insert to slide on to make installation a bit easier.

Final picture is of the stove set into place. I had to grind a couple of the stones for it to fit, which was emotionally tough to do, but I think it looks alright.

I haven't received the liner yet (more on that to come). Once I do, I will fabricate the block-off plate, install the liner and fire it up!

***And yes, before I fire it up I will update the ember protection to meet code and the manufacturer's recommendations.

[Hearth.com] My DIY install - 5100i and Forever Flex Hybrid [Hearth.com] My DIY install - 5100i and Forever Flex Hybrid [Hearth.com] My DIY install - 5100i and Forever Flex Hybrid [Hearth.com] My DIY install - 5100i and Forever Flex Hybrid [Hearth.com] My DIY install - 5100i and Forever Flex Hybrid [Hearth.com] My DIY install - 5100i and Forever Flex Hybrid [Hearth.com] My DIY install - 5100i and Forever Flex Hybrid

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like good progress is being made. I like the stone. Is that a wood storage space to the right of the fireplace? Does it open to the outside for loading?

The storage to the right is for wood. It opens to the entry way which is right across from the garage. So a quick run into the garage with the wheelbarrow, and I can load the wood into the storage compartment with my boots on, all on entry way rugs.

Very nice design!

Looks great and congrats on doing it right from the git go.

Reactions: ewang
So after much looking on this forum, I've taken the deep dive on installing it myself.

Hearth.com strikes again.

First burn. Image taken with Seek Thermal camera for iPhone.

The paint sure did stink for awhile, but now I think its ready to be loaded up. For the first burn, I only threw 3-4 splits on with some kindling.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] My DIY install - 5100i and Forever Flex Hybrid
    image.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Anyone have any ideas on how to install the nickel spring handle???
I've tried darn near everything and I can't seem to slip the spring handle on at all. I've also explored putting a bolt through the spring handle, but I can't get that into the tightly woven end....

Its frustrating. No instructions at all.

I'll call Quadrafire tomorrow.

Attachments

image.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 93
    image.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
I'm thinking I was supposed to receive an alternate door handle, the "formed" handle.

Why the @#$#@ don't they spell that out in a manual!?

Status
Not open for further replies.