Multiple Wood Burning Devices teamed with and Single Stage or Two Stage Furnace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Macroman

Dec 8, 2023
Ontario
Hi All:

My topic is a dual heat source conversation. I thought I would place it in with those burning wood for the majority of their home heating needs. I’d like to get your thoughts on the following scenario. If heating primarily with wood, would I see any benefit installing a more expensive 2 stage furnace vs a single stage furnace?

Here are the particulars:

- Soon to be built - 1500 sq ft bungalow (1 floor) very open concept – R25 walls + R50 ceilings.
- Super tight home - Engineered for 1 ACH50 (Air Changes per Hour at 50 Pascals).
- House will have HRV
- Unfinished basement but fully insulated R20 walls. Basement will stay unfinished. Just me and my wife. Semi-retired.
- Property is 33 acres of mature hardwood – no shortage of wood. We have 5-7 years of wood cut and stacked.
- Main floor will have an EPA 2020 wood burning fireplace located in centre of main floor.
- Basement will have an EPA 2020 wood burning stove located in centre of basement.
- House location is Central Ontario with Jan/Feb being coldest months with average temps around -10 to -15 C (but capable of hitting -30 to -40 for a few days here and there)

Why I ask. The price difference between a single stage vs two stage propane furnace is approximately $2-3K (depending on brand/model/options). In my calculations, I have the furnace handling 15% of the heating load over the winter heating season. The fireplace and wood stove will handle the heavy lifting. The HVAC will be properly engineered for the home but with wood heating, the furnace is going to see little heating use. It’s main function in the winter will be to act as an air handler and air filter. HRV will also play a role. Like you all, I like to spend money if I see a payback of sorts. I can't seem to justify the extra expense of a 2 stage. What say you all?

Last edited:
1500 sq ft and 2 stoves? They will need to be smaller stoves...or you will heat yourself right out, especially with being that tight!
Myself, I'd go for the 2 stage...and make sure the calcs get done properly, no need to oversize that system!

Reactions: Macroman
1500 sq ft and 2 stoves? They will need to be smaller stoves...or you will heat yourself right out, especially with being that tight!
Myself, I'd go for the 2 stage...and make sure the calcs get done properly, no need to oversize that system!
Thanks for your input. The wood stove in the basement will be sized to the heat loss calculations completed on the home for the HVAC system. The main floor fireplace is mostly for ambiance. I don't see both units running full on at the same time but to you point, we are definitely going to size accordingly. Thanks for the tip - I will definitely be keeping an eye on the furnace sizing - I've seen too many cases where they throw in an oversized furnace or AC unit just to cover their back sides.

Dual fuel heat pump if doing forced hot air. You get AC for basically free and two stage heat. Variable blower speed is worth it IMO.

At 1ahc 50 it tight. Make sure your contractors have experience. HRV vs ERV vs ventilating dehumidifier. I’m not in position to make a recommendation but those options need thoughtful consideration. Woodstove and heat pump with gas would be a great combo. Get a way to measure CO2.

Dual fuel heat pump if doing forced hot air. You get AC for basically free and two stage heat. Variable blower speed is worth it IMO.

At 1ahc 50 it tight. Make sure your contractors have experience. HRV vs ERV vs ventilating dehumidifier. I’m not in position to make a recommendation but those options need thoughtful consideration. Woodstove and heat pump with gas would be a great combo. Get a way to measure CO2.
Thanks EbS-P. We have a list started on what we want to cover with our home builder about the HVAC. I will add your comments to that list. Thanks for the input. Appreciated.

Thanks EbS-P. We have a list started on what we want to cover with our home builder about the HVAC. I will add your comments to that list. Thanks for the input. Appreciated.
Anyone licensed electro or plumber could get your build done fine given a chance or three. . Getting the HVAC right at 1 AHC50 is not simple. I spent days and days learning what I needed to know for my climate here on the coast. I am convinced that 85% of the HVAC companies have no business working on a high performance house with that AHC #. Do you homework. I dream of designing and building my next house. It would probably be a nightmare.

Anyone licensed electro or plumber could get your build done fine given a chance or three. . Getting the HVAC right at 1 AHC50 is not simple. I spent days and days learning what I needed to know for my climate here on the coast. I am convinced that 85% of the HVAC companies have no business working on a high performance house with that AHC #. Do you homework. I dream of designing and building my next house. It would probably be a nightmare.
Thanks EBs-P. I agree with what you are saying. Homework is being completed. Definitely.

You may have issues getting a furnace small enough to not short cycle. You’re probably looking at around 20k btu/hr. Maybe less.

Reactions: Macroman
You may have issues getting a furnace small enough to not short cycle. You’re probably looking at around 20k btu/hr. Maybe less.
Yes, I agree. We should have the HVAC engineering design work in the next 1-2 months as the house design is now mostly completed. Should be interesting to see what size heating and cooling requirements will be needed.

Reactions: EbS-P
All the more reason to go 2 stage

Reactions: Macroman and EbS-P