Multi-piece block-off plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Anyone build a block-off plate after the stove was installed and make it in multiple pieces?

I'm attaching a picture of the dimensions of the plate, without any bends that will be around the edges.

I will not be pulling the stove to keep the plate in one piece.

I'm thinking of one large piece with a slot cut out for the chimney liner, and two more cut with a circle inside of a square to fill in the slot cut in the large piece.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Yes. The pieces overlap in the middle and are pop-riveted together or a center section is attached to the outer section.

Here are some examples:
http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/11697/
http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/9630/P15/
http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/78544/
Unbelievable. You must have this whole place indexed in your head.

I think this is just one of those things that is never going to get done, until I start doing it!

Yep, only thing I'd add is to maybe use sheet metal screws instead of rivets for removal later if necessary.

Yep, only thing I'd add is to maybe use sheet metal screws instead of rivets for removal later if necessary.
There really should be no need for removal

I like the screw idea, plus all my pop rivets are aluminum, although I'm not sure that matters.

I did mine without moving the insert / removing the liner. It was kind of one piece. I made the hole the liner U shaped - basically a semi circle for the front half of the liner so the plate slides in from the front. Then I cut a little scrap piece to slide on top of the plate to block the small void between the liner and back wall once it was hugging the liner. Technically it’s two pieces but instead of being 50/50. It’s more like 95/5.

I did mine without moving the insert / removing the liner. It was kind of one piece. I made the hole the liner U shaped - basically a semi circle for the front half of the liner so the plate slides in from the front. Then I cut a little scrap piece to slide on top of the plate to block the small void between the liner and back wall once it was hugging the liner. Technically it’s two pieces but instead of being 50/50. It’s more like 95/5.
This is exactly what I've been imagining, NoGood. But, when I tried to cut the semi-circle on a piece of scrap, well, let's just say that it wasn't good. Any tips on cutting the curve in the sheet?

To be honest, I used a lighter gauge sheet than most around here than I’ve seen. Whatever they had on the shelf at Home Depot.

I forget exactly how I did it. I probably cut a square inside the circle and then a square into the semicircle and so on until it went from a square to a stop sign to a 129 sided stop sign. I could see myself doing it that way.

You could also just use a drill and put a bunch of holes around to guide you.

No one is ever going to see this but you do it doesn’t have to be pretty.

I used a few layers of roxul on top too so I left a little space between the plate and the liner. The roxul is snug against the liner.

To be honest, I used a lighter gauge sheet than most around here than I’ve seen. Whatever they had on the shelf at Home Depot.

I forget exactly how I did it. I probably cut a square inside the circle and then a square into the semicircle and so on until it went from a square to a stop sign to a 129 sided stop sign. I could see myself doing it that way.

You could also just use a drill and put a bunch of holes around to guide you.

No one is ever going to see this but you do it doesn’t have to be pretty.

I used a few layers of roxul on top too so I left a little space between the plate and the liner. The roxul is snug against the liner.
No offense intended, but I think the same way as you do. I just need to stop letting perfect get in the way of good enough and get to it. Appreciate your insights.

This is exactly what I've been imagining, NoGood. But, when I tried to cut the semi-circle on a piece of scrap, well, let's just say that it wasn't good. Any tips on cutting the curve in the sheet?
How are you cutting the curve, with what tool? Aviation snips work well, but one must use the correct snip. There are right (green), left(red) and straight cut (yellow) versions.

How are you cutting the curve, with what tool? Aviation snips work well, but one must use the correct snip. There are right (green), left(red) and straight cut (yellow) versions.
I have one old black pair, looks like a pair of heavy duty sissors, and one cheapy yellow pair. Perhaps it's time to invest in a wiss 3 pack. I think I read that here last night. Just have a hard time believing it's going to make that much difference. That said, I'm here for advice, and nothing irritates me more than someone asking my advice then ignoring it. I'll start looking for the set.

Here is what you want. You can cut any pattern with these. Comes with right, left & straight.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wiss-Aviation-Snip-Set-3-Piece-M123R/100273810

Use them, and you will see the big difference they make.
Wear gloves or at least a glove on the hand cutting. Once you get into the metal, the snips force the bottom side down & the top up, right in the path of your hand behind the index finger & thumb.

Last edited:
Use offset tin snips for cutting circles. Your hand stays above the work piece and is easier.

For $30.00 buy the set, they will come in handy elsewhere.

For $30.00 buy the set, they will come in handy elsewhere.
Might as well. It's funny, with some things, I don't hesitate to spend the money for quality stuff. Since I already had a couple of snips, I've been reluctant. Sometimes you just need a nudge from people you trust. Appreciate the nudge, Hog.

I made my block off in two pieces that overlapped and was riveted together. I wasn’t able to cut a perfect hole since I used very thick sheet metal( had it laying around). I used a trim plate screwed on with rope gasket on the back side to seal up the irregular hole)
I used one like this

Last edited by a moderator:
I made my block off in two pieces that overlapped and was riveted together. I wasn’t able to cut a perfect hole since I used very thick sheet metal( had it laying around). I used a trim plate screwed on with rope gasket on the back side to seal up the irregular hole)
I used one like this
View attachment 215207
Good idea about the trim plate.

I tried making a two piece template out of cardboard. My configuration made it impossible to get it in. I was glad it was cardboard.

Good idea about the trim plate.

I tried making a two piece template out of cardboard. My configuration made it impossible to get it in. I was glad it was cardboard.
Leave a gap around where the liner passes through the plate, and stuff it with door rope gasket for a nice tight fit. Courtesy of Brother Bart