Mt Vernon Venting Options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jg24cv

Feb 5, 2012
Salt Point, NY
I've had a QF Castile for the last 10 years and just purchased a Mt Vernon AE as a replacement. My problem is the Mt Vernon exhaust is about 3" higher than the Castile which was direct vented through the wall. I've got a couple ideas and I'm looking for some feedback.

1. Raise the existing vent to the correct height, however that's easier said than done. My house is a log cabin so patching holes isn't as easy as moving some vinyl siding around. I'll have to disassemble the vent cover to see what's in there and if I can even do this. I have the 13" cover plate, so if the inside part is 7" dia or less the plate will still cover the old hole.

2. Do a top vent on the Mt Vernon, go out the wall a few feet above the stove, and use my Castles vent as an outside air intake.

Any other ideas are appreciated.

Picture shows my current setup with the Castile.

Attachments

• Mt Vernon Venting Options
    20161003_221604.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 164
I've had a QF Castile for the last 10 years and just purchased a Mt Vernon AE as a replacement. My problem is the Mt Vernon exhaust is about 3" higher than the Castile which was direct vented through the wall. I've got a couple ideas and I'm looking for some feedback.

1. Raise the existing vent to the correct height, however that's easier said than done. My house is a log cabin so patching holes isn't as easy as moving some vinyl siding around. I'll have to disassemble the vent cover to see what's in there and if I can even do this. I have the 13" cover plate, so if the inside part is 7" dia or less the plate will still cover the old hole.

If the vent will be 3" directly above the existing you could think about having a custom thimble done at a sheet metal shop to cover the slightly oversized hole in the wall...one benefit is that you easily have an outside air intake as part of the design. The custom cover plate would be a bit oversized, but I'm betting you'd be the only one that would notice that it was. Paint it flat black, it will disappear just as the one that is there now does.

I do agree with womaus to a degree ... you may only have to have a plate made to cover the lower portion where an outside air kit can be installed once you raise the existing thimble. Outside air kit line is usually 2".

You could have a customized thimble cover made but cost may be a factor...

Reactions: womaus

2. Do a top vent on the Mt Vernon, go out the wall a few feet above the stove, and use my Castles vent as an outside air intake.

Any other ideas are appreciated.
I think your second choice is better as you gain a above the stove exh which creats more draft if the power goes out plus you make use of the bottom hole and get outside air intake. Having said that the AE has a cable and set up so you can use a 12 volt battery for emergency power. I had a AE and would set a boat battery in back of the stove and have it hooked up to the stove so it kept the stove running. I also had one of those battery minders or trickle chargers hooked up to the battery so it was always charged.

I think your second choice is better as you gain a above the stove exh which creats more draft if the power goes out plus you make use of the bottom hole and get outside air intake.

Going straight out the wall, with the Tee on the exterior he'll still have the same length of vertical rise to help with the exhaust, and less 90º angles to inhibit it.

Better to go out straight horizontal, then up. It'll look better too, no vent pipes visible from the front.

Most intake are two inch, but 3" pipe is recommended for the AE intake. kap

Reactions: Lake Girl
I ended up enlarging the existing hole in my house to accommodate the height of the new exhaust. I had a custom thimble made with a hole for an intake. Unfortunately I didn't see the post about needing a 3" intake soon enough. My intake pipe will be 2" at the narrowest point.

My next question is about a clean out. I like the clean outs that come with the top vent kits. The ones with the latching clip. Do they make a clean out piece for a direct vent installation? I don't want to have to break the glue every season.

I ended up enlarging the existing hole in my house to accommodate the height of the new exhaust. I had a custom thimble made with a hole for an intake. Unfortunately I didn't see the post about needing a 3" intake soon enough. My intake pipe will be 2" at the narrowest point.

My next question is about a clean out. I like the clean outs that come with the top vent kits. The ones with the latching clip. Do they make a clean out piece for a direct vent installation? I don't want to have to break the glue every season.
If you are going straight out, you don't need a cleanout. Brush your pipe as normal. Then you take your exhaust fan out(which you should do annually any way for cleaning purposes) and can finish cleaning from there. kap

What brand of venting are you using? Is your install out and up? If the t is outside, you likely don't need to rtv the clean out cap.

Nice. Hope you don't get any condensation thru your intake. May have to insulate it. kap

Nice. Hope you don't get any condensation thru your intake. May have to insulate it. kap
I wondered if that would be an issue. The hole in my wall is a giant rectangle. The wall is 8" thick and is filled with foam insulation. Would you recommend insulating the pipe as well? Interior or exterior? Or both?

If, you get any condensation, it would be just on the intake, on the inside of house, and that is the only place I would insulate it. kap

Status
Not open for further replies.