Mt Vernon non ae auger problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jmcp

Sep 16, 2011
lower bucks
I have the stove for about 6 years of late when I start the stove it will go for maybe a hour and then go out.I first thought the pellets were bridgeing but checked with a mirror not the problem. Lit it last night after 1 hour I heard the auger whirling but not dropping pellets I turned the heat up to its highest setting which increased the amount of turns the auger makes and finally after about 1 minute it began grabbing pellets and dropping again turned it back down to setting 2 again I could hear the auger turning but not grabbing pellets again put it up on high and finally it started grabbing pellets this is a big problem as the stove will go out if I do not sit there and do this procedure. Just wondering if the auger motor has gone weak and needs to be replaced I also read somewhere that the auger itself should be sharpened every so often which I have never done. Any advise would be appreciated.
Lower Bucks PA

2 things off the top of my head,you need to make sure the auger itself is spinning,when the motor is running,and,you need to see if the auger is running the proper way/direction.Use the search box above and search for auger reversing,seems to me that was an issue with some of those stoves.

Reactions: kappel15
There is an allen screw that holds auger to motor shaft. If loose, auger won't spin all the time. And if the auger is reversing, the capacitor is bad. In the older stoves it was in the junction box. Newer stoves it is in the auger motor wire harness. Looks like a little red box with legs. You used to be able to get a capacitor jumper to install in the harness to fix this, but they quit making them, so now you have to buy a whole auger motor. you might be able to find some online yet. If not, I have some. kap