Mt vernon ae smoking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kcmusa

Oct 18, 2011
Va
we are getting the smell of smoke in our home. I took the insert out and cleaned all the exhaust areas. removed blower, stove pipe and cleaned.
put new gasket on blower. started it up and let it run a bit. then shut it down and after about 10 min we are getting smoke in the house.
It always seems to be after a shutdown. I had the side off and could see the chamber filled with smoke, no blowers running.
what could be causing this?

You took the stove pipe off. Did you put it back on correctly with high temp silicone. The MVAE has an exhaust quick connect for this purpose. I disconnect mine at each ton for cleaning, no smoke smell. You have a leak somewhere near the exhaust.

If You are getting this smell after the stove has shut off...What you might be smelling is outside air coming back through the exhaust system and getting into the house....quite common depending on wind and air pressure around and inside the house....I sometimes get the smell of old ash but not smoke..

rev:
However If you are actually seeing "smoke"...well I don't know how the Mount Vernon exhaust works but seeing actual smoke after 10 minutes of shutdown suggests to me a service call !!

I have had it smoke before after auto clean with smoldering pellets laying in the ash pan.

I got it, it was pellets in the ash pan smoldering.
I had powered it on a off a few times as I was cleaning it all up and before i pushed the monster back into place.

Status
Not open for further replies.