Mt Vernon ae problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
will check and let you know. thanks
Everythings seems to check out ok. TC readings change with amount of heat applied. Stove runs , it just never leaves ss low and ss med. Turns on and off as it should and keeps the temp setting. aggravating! One thing I did do wrong (accidentally), when I was cleaning stove and vent. Early in morning (dark), I accidentally hooked my shop vac hose to blowing and blew backwards . Made a dusty mess in house. So I went and cleaned everything all over again.

You can try shutting stove off, pull face off wall control, and gently push on computer strip in wall control. Also check tstat wire connections. Thermocouple tells stove when to change settings in start up process by temp and timing. And a thermocouple can be damaged just enough to not throw an error code, but act up. You got the stove on auto or manual ? kap

You can try shutting stove off, pull face off wall control, and gently push on computer strip in wall control. Also check tstat wire connections. Thermocouple tells stove when to change settings in start up process by temp and timing. And a thermocouple can be damaged just enough to not throw an error code, but act up. You got the stove on auto or manual ? kap
auto. I got another tc from dealer in town. Nearest dealer is 40 mi away. Its different looking , also apparently would take a different cover?

No. should take same cover. Issue is if you have to drill a hole for it or not. Depends on your stove. Did you get instructions with it? And before you change out your thermocouple, try and run stove on manual and see if it changes. kap

auto. I got another tc from dealer in town. Nearest dealer is 40 mi away. Its different looking , also apparently would take a different cover?
wires on back of stove appear tight and ok, I'll check thermostat in a few minutes.

Everything checked out ok. TC and thermostat , OK. Now the weird thing. Today while screwing around with TC I took baffle back out and for the heck of it , I rigged up a small tube to go into ports below the baffle. I vacuumed it , then I reversed the vac to blow through the holes. Some stuff came out (I didn't think it was much) . Put everything back together and said what the hell, try it again. Fired up and after a few minutes the stove started working in auto. That was 6 hrs ago and everything appears good. Have you ever heard of those ports or holes being restricted enough to make stove not work? When I blew through them, junk came out basically right in my face, near where top of stove. I thought those holes went to the exhaust fan? It would be nice to some how have a schematic of how air moves through this stove.

Yes its common for the exhaust path to clog up, thats why we all ask if your sure the stove is clean. The leaf blower trick is the best way to clean a stove it does exactly what you did only it sucks the debris out the chimney and not blow back in your face.

Reactions: kappel15
Yes its common for the exhaust path to clog up, thats why we all ask if your sure the stove is clean. The leaf blower trick is the best way to clean a stove it does exactly what you did only it sucks the debris out the chimney and not blow back in your face.
The only reason I even thought of the holes below baffle is I stuck a small brush into both and it had ash on it when I brought it back up. I then used a mirror to look down. Thats why I'm curious of just which way the air flows there. Up into baffle of down from baffle?
What is the leaf blower trick?

Kappel15; Thanks for your advise . Maybe you could answer this. Air flow is which way behind the baffle? Down behind it or up wards behind it? I'm trying to understand the air flow behind the baffle and just where it connects?

The air flow is up thru the pot, goes up to top of glass and down behind baffle. Goes thru bottom openings at bottom of fins behind baffle, goes thru right side and out thru exhaust fan. When you open the door, you can see the openings behind flange at top of baffle that air flow goes thru to get behind baffle. kap

The air flow is up thru the pot, goes up to top of glass and down behind baffle. Goes thru bottom openings at bottom of fins behind baffle, goes thru right side and out thru exhaust fan. When you open the door, you can see the openings behind flange at top of baffle that air flow goes thru to get behind baffle. kap
Thanks kap; thats what I thought but I wanted to make sure. I figured thats the only way it could exhaust. The bottom openings below fins is what I believe were giving me fits, vacuuming just wasn't getting stuff out. Thanks again!

Reactions: kappel15
I have the same stove and a similar problem. Brief history: mid-November the stove started throwing a vacuum switch error. Replaced switch, no fix. Dealer came out and did a super thorough cleaning. Said the air vents at back of baffle were clogged. Running fine for ~6 weeks. Two days ago, it started running with a low flame and very sooty. No errors. Noticed that when it starts up, stays on SS-MED for 30-60 minutes, eventually went to MH (manual). I did a deep clean last night, including removing the baffle and cleaning out the back vents. Ran fine last night. Tonight, started running with low flame again. Ran on SS-MED for about 45 mins then went to MH. Tried running on auto but no change. What could be up? Do I need to replace the fire pot thermocouple? Drop tube thermocouple? Is the thing just dirty in a way I can’t seem to clean? I’m running the same pellets (Easyblaze) as the last 4 years since I stove. What could I check on my own before calling dealer? Thanks!

Have you checked your exhaust for any blockage ? Or your OAK, if you have one ? Pot holes all clean. Pot floor seating nicely to bottom of pot ? Have you checked when you remove the ashpan, that there is not a lot of ash or such, blocking airflow for fire ? Are you on the right fuel table ? And have you tried another bag of different brand to see if results are different, just to rule that out ? kap

Exhaust and OAK look clear. Everything else checks out, but I haven’t tried different fuel. I can try that. Hopefully not that as I have 2.5 tons of it in the garage! I assume this might be some kind of air flow issue. Maybe I’ll try vacuuming out again.