Mt Vernon AE pellet insert thermocouple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kaleardi

Dec 27, 2019
Kennebunk, ME
Hi, Hmm. Well got the control board in fine, started up but then got bad tc error. The guy who came to replace had ordered the tc for me at my request as I said the one I had ordered was wrong. Turns out that the one he got was also wrong. What we both learned is that they replaced the original part with a newer version. So the one I had ordered was correct but we need to know to retrofit this piece in the stove. I contacted Quadrafire and requested by question the answer, they said they cannot answer by email referred me to the closest authorized dealer who was company I had problems with to begin with. So, does anyone have any retrofit information or know if you can get the old model part? Thanks in advance

Does the knew one have a solid curved end on it? If so, didn't any instructions come with it? Certain older model stoves, the hole is in the correct place. Newer models you need to plug that hole with a bolt , and drill a newer hole near the pot. I can get details if you need them. kap

And are you sure the old one is bad? Did you check and make sure the inside of the cover was clear of ash, and that tip of tc was touching the inside of the cover, and sticking in pot at least 3/4" ? kap

Hmm, yes when I replace the pot and igniter I cleaned out the whole stove completely. Nothing burned long enough to clog it up. No instruction sheet supplied so am in need of the retrofit instructions. He is coming tomorrow afternoon to try to put it in. If you have any diagrams or instructions that would be awesome!! You are such a help! Thank you! Yes, he installed the old one himself, think when I pulled it off then had to reinstall I may have bent wire or something. It ran for only one cycle and then gave permanent bad tc in firepot error unable to get around it

Something else to try too. Pull the drop tube thermocouple first off control board as it makes it easier to pull the firepot tc. Remember the drop tube tc red wire is towards the firepot tc. And remember how fp tc is on as if you reverse it, it will be out of polarity. Latch side is towards the dt tc You can now test for continuity on fp tc, to see if it is good. If it is good, unplug stove. Then carefully pull the connector for the fp tc off the board. Carefully using a thumb tack or pin, make the female connections that go over pins on board, a little smaller, being careful not to make them too small. These are friction fit connections that could be too loose. Put a jumper wire on pins on the board. Plug stove back in. If the error code for the firepot tc goes away, the control board is good. If the code pops up again, the board is bad. kap

What "wire" did you bend? Not a pin on the board is it? kap