Mount Vernon AE vs. Enviro M55?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

noremorse63

Feb 2, 2012
Maryland
Well I have pretty much narrowed it down to the MT Vernon or the M55? The quote with installtion for the M55 was 5400.00 and the MT Vernon was 6269.00? Is there really that much difference between the 2 that justifies almost 1k more? Even with the 300 rebate from Quadra-fire, it still isn't too close. Any opinions?

So are there any major differences besides the price? The heat output looks the same and the reviews are just as good--why more money for the Mt Vernon?

noremorse63 said:
The M55 price is 3800, liner is 440, install 750 and metal trim work is 250--rough estimates in the quote.

I take it this is a different dealer selling the Enviro? More like MSRP there. Not over inflated like the quad price.

I say M55 because it doesn't have the bleepin computer/thermostat and the auto clean the quad has. Other than that they both crank awesome BTU's and eat about any pellet out there with ease(actually the m55 is a bit better at iffy fuels). If the price of the quad was closer? Maybe, But with what your posting its the M55 cast and a no brainer IMHO! Awesome stove with sweet looks too!

I'll shaddap now!

Actually it is the same dealer, I am going to get a few more quotes for sure. They have been pushing the Mt Vernon as soon as I walked in and didn't even tell me about the M55, I figured that out from reading here:) I think I will make a drive to PA and see what they are offering--at least call them and ask.

That price is WAY too high for the Mt. Vernon.

I paid less than that for the Mt. Vernon with OAK, optional sierra bronze finish, the optional cast surround, full chimney liner, and installation, This was in November before this $300 rebate started.

Shop around. First place I went gave me a price of $5300 for an Accentra and $6200 for a Mt. Vernon. The dealer I ended up going with gave me a price of $5300 for the Mt. Vernon. Besides the OAK, the extras my wife wanted are what added to the final cost.

FWIW, I ended up going to 4 dealers during my shopping/research.

The MtV is a little bit more sophisticated, so you need to be a little more sophisticated to own one.

Ultimately its YOUR decision which stove suits YOU better. ;-)

j-takeman said:
noremorse63 said:
The M55 price is 3800, liner is 440, install 750 and metal trim work is 250--rough estimates in the quote.

I take it this is a different dealer selling the Enviro? More like MSRP there. Not over inflated like the quad price.

I say M55 because it doesn't have the bleepin computer/thermostat and the auto clean the quad has. Other than that they both crank awesome BTU's and eat about any pellet out there with ease(actually the m55 is a bit better at iffy fuels). If the price of the quad was closer? Maybe, But with what your posting its the M55 cast and a no brainer IMHO! Awesome stove with sweet looks too!

I'll shaddap now!

X 100 on everything Jay said.. M-55 all the way (I am looking at the Steel model)

Only thing I will add is Multi Fuel. The Quad is too.... But an agitator is a much better option than the auto clean of the AE. The M-55 will burn anything. Period. That agitator in the pot will help it burn the nastiest of fuels.

The auto clean of the AE will take a little finesse and cleaning. Its still a workhorse. But like Smoke Show stated, you too, must be sophisticated.

How you like that Smoke... Im calling you Sophisticated. ;-P

smoke show said:
The MtV is a little bit more sophisticated, so you need to be a little more sophisticated to own one.

I didn't think you could spell sophisticated even! :cheese:

Dex- takes one to know one.

Jay- I know you couldn't spell it. ;-)

Just bought the Mt Vernon myself in Maine. Its not installed yet but the written quote looks lsomething like this... 3500.00 for the stove, 500.00 for installation materials and 500.00 for labor - vented up and out through a wall.

j-takeman said:
smoke show said:

Nope just cut and paste yours. I'm sure you used spell check!

Another train wreck.

I'm very proud of my 5th grade education.

Matter of fact I gotta head over your direction pretty soon
for some more education.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the noise factor. I can't comment on the M55 but I can't really hear a darn thing when the Mt. Vernon is running other than the clink of pellets into the empty burnpot on startup.

I think I need to get some more quotes for sure! They are charging 750 installation, plus the liner for 439 and for some reason the MT Vernon requires a "hearth support" for another 260. That base prices without of the trim, surge tap 840? is 3959 for the Mt Vernon and 3799 for the M55 Cast Iron.

Also states that the Mt Vernon requires a top vent adaptor and the Outside air kit--why doesn't the M55 need that? Or did the salesman just screw up with the quotes?

Just looking at BTU output they seem neck and neck. If the fans are pretty much the same, I see no reason to pay for "looks"--and my wife and will learn to like it:)

I have the top vent adapter because I have a vertical vent and wanted it.

Its not required, its optional.

smoke show said:
j-takeman said:
smoke show said:

Nope just cut and paste yours. I'm sure you used spell check!

Another train wreck.

I'm very proud of my 5th grade education.

Matter of fact I gotta head over your direction pretty soon
for some more education.

Yep! Another wreck and you started it all!

Let me know when your coming, I'll have the border patrol ready and waiting!

John97 said:
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the noise factor. I can't comment on the M55 but I can't really hear a darn thing when the Mt. Vernon is running other than the clink of pellets into the empty burnpot on startup.

Silent operation except for those stove that make that hideous clicking noise on L and M/L.

j-takeman said:
Let me know when your coming, I'll have the border patrol ready and waiting!

Your safe, gonna be a lil south of you in NJ.

Back on topic....

No auger cover plate nonsense on the Mt. Vernon.

John97 said:
Back on topic....

No auger cover plate nonsense on the Mt. Vernon.

Zing~ Haha!

Just wait until you need to buy a thermostat! It won't be $30 or less! hehe! ;-P

So I was all set to get the M55, then the dealer/installer called and said that they can't install it in my firebox since the instruction manual says it must be installed in a "masonry firebox"! Of course the more expensive Mt Vernon doesn't have that requirement. Are there any Large Pellet inserts, besides the Mt Vernon, that can be put in a pre-fab fireplace without having to gut the entire fireplace,chase, etc? Needless to say, this is becoming very frustrating!

noremorse63 said:
Well I have pretty much narrowed it down to the MT Vernon or the M55? The quote with installtion for the M55 was 5400.00 and the MT Vernon was 6269.00? Is there really that much difference between the 2 that justifies almost 1k more? Even with the 300 rebate from Quadra-fire, it still isn't too close. Any opinions?
and the Harman Accentra not in the running? I'm assuming we're talking inserts? I love the AE until there is a wacko electrical issue or you have to pull the sucker out. The M55 is kinda new and I fear it to be a rattle trap (loud) as it ages,,,,by the way the think is held together and what a PITA the thing is to work on.

Just my two cents....I think the Accentra is the better/ best choice when you are talking inserts. If you were talking freestanding...forgive me for not reading the thread...I'll shut up now.

ahhh just read the tread. Yes, Harman Accentra is rated for zero clearance.

I looked at the Harman, however, I am looking for the highest BTU ratings possible and the Mt Vernon and M55 seem to be the highest I can find. On another note, I was reading the M55 manual myself and it seems to contradict itself when it mentions installing in a zero clearance fireplace--so now I am really confused

Status
Not open for further replies.