Most efficient settings?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LIpelletowner

Hearth Supporter
Nov 23, 2008
Long Island NY
Hi everyone!
I just installed a napolean nps40. I have an older house that approximately 3000 sqft. I am hoping to heat the main floor. I have installed the OAK and I have been playing around with the settings. I have seen that opening the air flow keeps the stove burning clean much longer. I have the pellet feed set at 5 and the air control on 4. The flame seems great but the temp doesnt seem hot. The house is at a consistant 68 without the oil burner kicking on. Does the air control how hot the stove is? I am burning about one and half bags of pellets per day. I love the stove, my wife likes a warm house, I just wanted to know if anyone had any input on the best settings the stove should run at.

Hi - I've had the same stove for a few weeks and am still trying to figure out the best settings too. Using outside air like you. I think it performs better (better flame, hotter output) with lower air damper settings (pellet feed = 4 and air damper = 1.5.). Although the glass gets dirtier at the lower damper settings. This is not a big deal to me - easy to clean every few days.

It hasn't gotten very cold outside yet, so I don't know what the right settings will be.

Overall, we really like the stove so far. It heats our main floor (open floor plan) pretty well, although I was hoping for a little more heat output. Too inexperienced to know if my pellets (CleanFire) are above or below average in terms of BTU content. But they seems to burn hotter and cleaner than the only other brand I've tried (Pennington).

None of this is science: I am taking no temp measurements on the stove...

in running mine for 2 months now i have figured out that pellet grade will determine your heat output, with ashens it is lower than most other brands i have seen burnt in this stove. my father burnt his last 10 bags of NEWP in his, and the heat output was noticeably more than the ashens i have.

did you get a ring to put over your burn pot?

I do not have a ring on my burn pot. Better without one, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.