Morso insert whistling and belching smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newatthis

Aug 28, 2014
Charlottesville, VA
So, yesterday, it was a little breezy outside, and I constantly heard whistling coming around the stove. Couldn't really pinpoint one spot. Have never noticed whistling when this was an operating fireplace, nor when the stove isn't burning. Today, the insert isn't whistling, and it's not breezy at all outside.

Today I see a new problem, which may not be related. The stove had a fresh piece of wood, which had not ignited on the bed of coals yet. While sitting there, it made an audible belch, accompanied by a big puff of black smoke coming out into the room. Seemed to come out from the bottom of the door. Wood was still sitting there, unignited. It happened a second time, about 5 minutes later. Again, it is not breezy outside, and the stove isn't whistling.

After the second belch, I opened up the air, and after a couple of minutes, it belched again, and then at the same time, the log burst into flame. No belches since.

I had posted previously here about the stove being installed without the rope gasket: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/morso-elastic-white-rope-in-kit.135125/ . We had not noticed any problems with the draw, or general operations of the stove, although the fine points would certainly escape us, as newbies. But since it is not fully sealed without the rope gasket, I wonder if at least the whistling is a manifestation of that?

I wonder if the belching problem was something clogged. There is a fair amount of ash in the bottom, as it has been running constantly for the last few days, and I haven't cleaned it.

I have had the whistle in the past with other inserts, when the wind blows it increases the draft and that increases the air sucked into the stove, you might get the same whistle if you leave the air on high for too long and the stove is consuming a lot of incoming air.

As for the belch that happened due to no active flame, we call it puff backs and it happens when you have a bunch of unburned gas in the stove, once you get a flame it all ignites at the same time and can be quite violent in nature. Sounds like that piece of wood was wet and/or the air was turned down too soon. You always should have active flame with fresh fuel or you will be smouldering the wood and not burning all that gas.

Sound like it may have been backpuffing. Was the air control wide open? How tall is the chimney on the insert and is there a full 6" liner to the chimney cap?

Thanks to both of you. The first 2 back puffs were with the air partly closed, and then the last one was after I opened the air, and then it puffed/exploded into flame on the fresh log. Sounds like next time that happens, I should open the door to let out some gas before opening the vent? The chimney is fully lined to the top, 6" pipe, 2 stories + chimney height. Now I know to turn up the air every time I add a log. The wood is dry. Thanks!!

When a smoldering fire is given a sudden burst of fresh air a flame erupts and that fires off the accumulating wood gas (smoke) in the fire box. That is a backpuff explosion. Don't let the wood smolder. Give the fire more air until the wood is burning well Then incrementally cut back the air until the flames are lazy, but not going out.

Status
Not open for further replies.