montpelier vc stove temp (new installation)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

spinner

Hearth Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
southern ma
I have just installed my Montpelier insert full liner and block off plate could not use insulation wrap on my second small fire wondering best place to check stove temps thinking off getting a infrared temp gun thanks for any help.

Reactions: Sons924
sticka99 said:
I have just installed my Montpelier insert full liner and block off plate could not use insulation wrap on my second small fire wondering best place to check stove temps thinking off getting a infrared temp gun thanks for any help.

Hello i have placed a magnetic thermometer on the ark of the door Its the only place for it! (not ideal) I have taken temp. readings from the cast iron plate near the flue they are usually 200 to 250 higher. So if you are getting 300-350 on the door your probably more like 550to 600. If I remember correctly!.... My wood was not as seasoned as I would have liked last year! I am burning much hotter this year. Most inserts dont have a good spot for the therm unless the unit protrudes out onto the hearth!

What do you mean by insulation wrap?

I was looking into getting a thermometer with a probe. So I could attach it to the flue and get a remote reading!

Also let the insert get cooking before you turn the fan on. In other words the fan will start to cool the insert down before you get to optimal operating temp. on start up you want to get the fire box hot so you are burning properly. Once your kindling and small splitts have started to coal up reload get it chard, then you can adjust your fan. This works for me but every set up is different! It takes some time to master Modern wood stoves.

Also don't be shy on the kindling and newspaper on start up. Top down start up works nicely to get your draft started! I always put paper on top of kindling to get the initial draft started! It also burns cleaner less smoke out the chimney!

I put my thermometer inside the right-side hot air outlet, but turned its so the 200-300 range is pointing out. Not optimum, but I didn't think it was getting good contact on the face of the stove.

Last winter it rarely registered above 300, but my wood wasn't/ isn't the greatest. Still, you can get a general idea of how you're burning.

BTW - my stove smoked up the house big time as the fires got bigger. Not from the wood, but from the paint curing as the stove reached higher temps. You may need to open windows. Enjoy!
-Gabe

Fod01 said:
I put my thermometer inside the right-side hot air outlet, but turned its so the 200-300 range is pointing out. Not optimum, but I didn't think it was getting good contact on the face of the stove.

Last winter it rarely registered above 300, but my wood wasn't/ isn't the greatest. Still, you can get a general idea of how you're burning.

BTW - my stove smoked up the house big time as the fires got bigger. Not from the wood, but from the paint curing as the stove reached higher temps. You may need to open windows. Enjoy!
-Gabe

Inside hot air outlet ill try it. Like I was saying I bet you can add 200 250 to that temp due to the fact that your hotter on the stove top near the flue outlet.. I am going to run the insert with the surround off for a while so I can take temp readings from the stove top near the flue so I can get an idea of the temps I'm running!

what I meant was the insulation wrap around the liner thanks for your input maybe I'll take the surround off also

allhandsworking said:
Inside hot air outlet ill try it. Like I was saying I bet you can add 200 250 to that temp due to the fact that your hotter on the stove top near the flue outlet.. I am going to run the insert with the surround off for a while so I can take temp readings from the stove top near the flue so I can get an idea of the temps I'm running!

I tried taking my surround off. Something is hanging up on the right side. I'm guessing there's a clip or bracket that may be loose and its spinning as I pull upward.

Unfortunately, I didn't observe the surround installation, nor do I have any paperwork on it.
Any thoughts here?

Thanks, Gabe

Sorry - Mead surround..

There are 2 metal tabes on the side and 2 on the top! You just lift the surrond up and it comes of.

There are 2 metal tabs on the side and 2 on the top! You just lift the surround up and it comes off.

Status
Not open for further replies.