Money restoring old stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DaveNY49

Jun 3, 2024
New York
I have a chance to buy this old Fire View for cheap. Needs some restoration. I’m considering doing it to sell it. Have two questions

1 what do you think I could get for it fully restored?

2. I see some guys who restore and sell old stoves. Is it a profitable passtime?

What do you value your time at?. Is this going to be a legit business or a hobby? My guess is unless you have a niche working on rare stoves its at best a hobby that might be somewhat cash positive on occasion.

Reactions: bholler
I have a chance to buy this old Fire View for cheap. Needs some restoration. I’m considering doing it to sell it. Have two questions

1 what do you think I could get for it fully restored?

2. I see some guys who restore and sell old stoves. Is it a profitable passtime?
You aren't going to make much hourly at all unless you are doing it for people who are attached to the stove for some reason. A typical old steel stove you might add $200 to tge value of the stove by cleaning it up painting it redong the gaskets and brick. After your cost that probably only leaves $75 or so for a few hours work. So there just isn't much room there. When it comes to working on people's stoves we pretty much start at $500 to take it down to bare metal paint bricks etc and it goes up from there. We did a cook stove last year that ended up just over $5000 but that was with having missing or broken parts cast or fabricating them myself. Even at that my hourly rate wasn't as high as I would normally get. But I enjoyed it and was glad to save their stove for them. It had been in the family 3 generations.

Thanks bhollaer. I wasn’t planning on restoring stoves for existing owners. I was thinking more about buying used stoves on marketplace, making them new and re selling them. I see so many stoves for sale in various fb wood stove groups going for a good chunk and they are selling. Especially Fishers and Timberlines. There are three groups I’m in where people routinely post these stoves for $800-$1200 after a complete restore and there is always 20 plus comments asking to buy it. I know the customer base of restores stoves is small but if you find them you have a sale. The restored stoves I see being sold in groups are stoves I see on market place for sale old and rusty sitting in someone’s garage selling for $150-$300. If I am willing to travel within a 2-3 hour radius to pick up a stove I think even with new brick, sanding and paint it’s still a good profit. The only bad part is the weight lol. I may try to sell a few and see how it goes. This would be a labor of love for a little extra cash. If I pulled in $500-$1000 a month selling a few stoves I’d be happy

Thanks bhollaer. I wasn’t planning on restoring stoves for existing owners. I was thinking more about buying used stoves on marketplace, making them new and re selling them. I see so many stoves for sale in various fb wood stove groups going for a good chunk and they are selling. Especially Fishers and Timberlines. There are three groups I’m in where people routinely post these stoves for $800-$1200 after a complete restore and there is always 20 plus comments asking to buy it. I know the customer base of restores stoves is small but if you find them you have a sale. The restored stoves I see being sold in groups are stoves I see on market place for sale old and rusty sitting in someone’s garage selling for $150-$300. If I am willing to travel within a 2-3 hour radius to pick up a stove I think even with new brick, sanding and paint it’s still a good profit. The only bad part is the weight lol. I may try to sell a few and see how it goes. This would be a labor of love for a little extra cash. If I pulled in $500-$1000 a month selling a few stoves I’d be happy
If the used market for those brand stoves is that high by you chances are you will have a hard time finding cheap ones. And the lesser brand ones you can get cheap aren't going to sell for much. But hey give it a shot it's unlikely you will actually loose money

I just heard there is a new stove coming out soon that is supposed to be the best stove ever. It’s going to be called the Bholler.
Lol I doubt that

I just heard there is a new stove coming out soon that is supposed to be the best stove ever. It’s going to be called the Bholler.
There was a Better N Ben’s and you see what happened to that.

I've flipped a few popular model wood furnaces...might put a lil extra coin in your pocket in the end, but the hourly rate is peanuts.