Moisture on the glass inside stove door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tfdchief

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 24, 2009
Tuscola, IL
myplace.frontier.com
I have moisture forming on the inside of the glass of the stove door. I have had a wood burning insert for a long time and never had this problem. It is extremely hot and humid here and has been for several weeks.... High 90s and high dew points. I guess the hot humid air is coming down the chimney and into the cool stove (house is air conditioned) What can I do? Most of you know about my injury, so I can't do much myself. I can get help though. I am worried that by the time I am able, the moisture inside the stove is going to do damage. It is the Hampton in my signature.
Thanks, Steve

I don't think it's going to hurt anything but now you have an excuse to FIRE UP! Have someone lite a pile of kindling in there to get rid of the moisture. I guess it could cause some rust in there if the condensation continues.

Try trowing some real dry splits in there. they may absorb it and look good doing it.

Hey chief, don't sweat the small stuff. And remember, it's all small stuff compared with you getting better. Open up the stove door to let it equalize and dry out. This weather will pass.

I'd just open the door.

Thanks all for the good ideas. I did put baking soda in there but that didn't seem to do much. When I open the door it seems a lot of hot humid air which I guess is coming down the chimney. That seemed kind of like opening a window with the AC on. So I think I will wait and see what happens when it cools off a bit. I will also check into some of the moisture control stuff you guys suggested.

And thanks for your continued support and prayers. Problem is, I don't have much to do but sit around and worry about all the things I can't do anything about right now. Not in my nature to not be able to help myself or to have to sit around, but I can do it. Just need a little help once in a while.

Thanks, Steve

I hope you're getting better fast!

Now for my 2¢ - You're right, leaving the stove door open is like leaving a window open. Is there a damper in the flue somewhere? Is it closed? It seems to me that if you seal the other end of the vent (such as putting a plastic bag over it), that would tend to keep moist air from entering the flue, then the stove. That means climbing onto the roof, I suppose, but if someone owes you a favor…

Don't forget to leave a note in the stove to remove the blockage before firing the stove up!

Why is hot air dropping down yer chimney. Seems counterintuitive to how that outta work. Fix the negative pressure in your house and the air should go up the chimney, no?

Anyway, I agree with somehow temporarily blocking off the chimney...

heat seeker said:
I hope you're getting better fast!

Now for my 2¢ - You're right, leaving the stove door open is like leaving a window open. Is there a damper in the flue somewhere? Is it closed? It seems to me that if you seal the other end of the vent (such as putting a plastic bag over it), that would tend to keep moist air from entering the flue, then the stove. That means climbing onto the roof, I suppose, but if someone owes you a favor…

Don't forget to leave a note in the stove to remove the blockage before firing the stove up!
Stove pipe damper is closed. I am thinking about covering the top if I can find someone to do it for me. Thanks

Danno77 said:

For Pellet stoves.. We block the Flue and OAK. Also spray the inside of the stove with Pam cooking spray and add moisture absorber's (Desiccants).. Stops the Rust and moisture from the Humidity. Also doing this, does not effect the efficiency of your A/C unit. (Don't want my Cold A/C air, going up/out my flue's). Want to keep my house tight and warm in the winter (Reason for the Stoves). Also want to keep it COOL in the Summer (Reason for blocking ANY hole that I have created in my home. Just my 2 Cents.

Attachments

• Moisture on the glass inside stove door
    Damp Rid.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 468
Danno77 said:
Why is hot air dropping down yer chimney. Seems counterintuitive to how that outta work. Fix the negative pressure in your house and the air should go up the chimney, no?

Danno, I agree but it is. There might have been a bathroom fan on but no more than that. I think it more to do with the humidity. I have found that when the humidity is different on either side of a barrier, this case the house, it will strongly try to equalize. Not sure what the science of this is but that's my guess as to whats going on. Not sure why my insert isn't doing it either. pretty strange.

You are correct. Humidity will travel in still air, seeking to balance out.

Ya got a cold hunk of steel and cast iron in that air conditioned space. Any humid air in that pipe is gonna condense on the inside of it. Just like it will with your windows.

And not do one bit of damage. Rest.

ETA: That is why I leave the ashes in it till Fall. Soaks up the moisture.

BrotherBart said:
Ya got a cold hunk of steel and cast iron in that air conditioned space. Any humid air in that pipe is gonna condense on the inside of it. Just like it will with your windows.

Thanks BB. I too have always left my ashes in until fall in my insert and never a problem. I think you nailed it...."cold hunk of steel and cast iron in that air conditioned space" Only the front of the insert touches the AC air so it has not had the problem that the new stove is having surrounded by AC air. Thanks, I will just keep an eye on it and not worry, and oh ya, HEAL!

They make a balloon for open fireplaces that you shove up a chimney and inflate for those that need it sealed. I don't know if you could even get one in there without dismantling something.

tfdchief said:
BrotherBart said:

Thanks BB. I too have always left my ashes in until fall in my insert and never a problem. I think you nailed it...."cold hunk of steel and cast iron in that air conditioned space" Only the front of the insert touches the AC air so it has not had the problem that the new stove is having surrounded by AC air. Thanks, I will just keep an eye on it and not worry, and oh ya, HEAL!

Open the door on the stove or throw a blanket on it. At least if the blanket doesn't work as insulation you won't see the condensation anymore. :)

If it really is bugging you (and it shouldn't), have your boy wad up an old towel or large rag or something and stuff it in the pipe from inside the stove. Then crack the door a bit and sit back down and rest. If you can't get at the pipe, stuff it around the last air loop area before it exhausts.

Nobody has to get on a roof, nobody has to do anything "physical" and the issue (or non-issue) is done. Just remember that the towel is there before the first fire up.

tfdchief said:
Thanks all for the good ideas. I did put baking soda in there but that didn't seem to do much. When I open the door it seems a lot of hot humid air which I guess is coming down the chimney. That seemed kind of like opening a window with the AC on. So I think I will wait and see what happens when it cools off a bit. I will also check into some of the moisture control stuff you guys suggested.

And thanks for your continued support and prayers. Problem is, I don't have much to do but sit around and worry about all the things I can't do anything about right now. Not in my nature to not be able to help myself or to have to sit around, but I can do it. Just need a little help once in a while.

Thanks, Steve

Hey Steve, you don't have a problem! You have an opportunity! All that time to sit around.... A great time for some higher learning. A great time to take up a new hobby. A great time to rekindle an old hobby. I recall after I was injured and could do almost nothing. So, I went to the local community college and learned about programming computers. Proud to say too that I had a 3.9+ gpa. All A's except one A-. Not too bad for an old fart, huh?

Quick Note: Dr sending me to the hospital for a staff infection in a boil I developed. :-S Don't know when I will be back. Need more prayers, Steve

Steve,

You know you got a ton of support here. I hope all goes well with the newest situation. Staff infections can suck the big one. Hang in there.

Shawn

Staff = Staph infection I am guessing. I mean if my "staff" is infected or has a boil on it that becomes infected I will cry my eyes out. ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.