Moisture in the bag

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edsson

While I was hauling my bag of pellets in this weekend, I noticed a couple of bags were wet inside and the pellets had sucked up the moisture. Is the whole bag a loss or is most of the bag still useable? 4 bags out of 200, not too bad.

I've returned individual bags for replacement before but to answer your question, the pellets not affected by the water are certainly usable. I guess it depends on whether it's just a small area of moisture or it's more pellets than worth your time to separate out.

If the pellets are not misshaped, but still hard and well formed they are good to go..Truly wet pellets swell up and expand and revert back to sawdust, leaving a ton of "fines". I purchased some suspect left-over bags from HD and negotiated a half-price deal on them...They had been stored outside all summer....With several of the bags, I had to screen them to remove the fines where small holes in the bags had allowed water to damage maybe 20% of the pellets. If you just dump them in the hopper, it will plug up the auger or blow out of the burn pot in a shower of sparks....

Status
Not open for further replies.