Moisture in intake ductwork

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mdool

Jun 7, 2020
Missouri
I've got a Heat N Glo Woodburner in my basement. And during the summer I've noticed what appears to be water in the flex duct that runs out the side of the house. I believe this is the vent which is the intake draw. this duct runs in the ceiling of a bedroom in the basement, which I am going to have to tear completely out to really investigate and repair. I have poked a hole in the ceiling and it feels like water is in the flex duct. But during the winter there has not been any moisture. Has anyone experience this drawing humidity from the outside in the winter and causing this problem? We do keep our house about 67 degrees in the summer. Any thoughts ? Can I cap this outdoor vent and just change it if I plan on using the fireplace in the winter.

Sounds like the draft is continuing to pull in air and that is cooling. As the warm, humid air cools coming through the basement it is condensing inside the outside air intake pipe. The solution is to block off the intake at the exterior during the summer. Remember to remove the covering in the fall.