Mixing 775P precleaner in the Garn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawyer

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 17, 2008
Northern WI
My Garn is full of water with the 775P precleaner added. I am ready to fire up and raise the temperature. If I read correctly this is better to do in small burns to reduce condensation till the temperatures rise.

I was told to not let the precleaner conditioned water go to the heat exchanger so I have short circuited the supply/return manifolds so the boiler can still circulate and mix the treated water.

Should I leave the circulator pump run continuously for the two days the precleaner is soaking?

Well, I hope the precleaner doesn't hurt the HX, because I circulated it right through there......Never saw anything that said not too. I'll be rather pissed if I have a problem. I left the circulator on continuously....heat call or not.

Both times I started a fire in the GArn and the water was down around 70-80 (I filled it with hot water and 150' of garden hose....so warm water), I indeed get a bit of condensation mess. Creosote in liquid form dripped right out of the exhaust chimney. A steady stream almost until the water was up around 110 or so. I also got some drips around the plate where the fan attaches. Also, some drippage around the ring where the chimney attaches to the Garn. I wiped these up, no big deal, and I don't know what further I could do. Nothing like that has been back.

My first fire I kept somewhat small....but then after that I let them go. I thought drying out the refractory slowly might be helpful....

No problems so far. I'm hoping to get the Garn box together today so all surfaces will be insulated except the from plate...still have to get that in.

I had zero condensation but did get a little creosote by the cover next to the fan.I did read where it said not to build a small fire or that may lead to condensation so I built a big first fire.

Thanks for the replies.

Ken Oaks, my Garn rep was the one that said he would not want to run the solution through the HX. I believe it was because of the residual particles from the Garn more than the chemicals hurting the HX.

My water is at 50 degrees, I am sure some condensation is inevitable. I guess I have nothing to loose with a larger fire if Kemer was able to avoid condensation.

I saw that in the manual

I saw that in the manual too. And I should say I started a small fire and let it burn about 20 minutes....than loaded it right up. Kemer, you didn't get any liquid dripping out of your chimney? Oh yeah, you are vertical...you wouldn't see it. Did you check inside your HX after the burn?

In any event, I don't think it is a big deal....I think this stuff will burn up fast enough.

I got nearly three sides of my box complete and she's wrapped in an R30 blanket...at least. The front is still wide open though. Slow but sure..... I fired up to 193 today....warmest I've gone.

Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.