Missing chimney adaptor ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rusty44

Jun 26, 2016
red deer
Installed a new wood stove year.Thanks to reading this site we choose a blaze king princess ultra.(love it)
Installed everything myself,selkirk pipe.Did my first clean /inspection yesterday, after about a month of burning.
Had quite a bit of build up,burning pine around 20%.About 1 cup maybe a little less.Pulled telescopic pipe so not to fill stove with creosote. Noticed small 1/4 inch gap between class a and ceiling support.Can see insulation of class a. Doesn't seem right.Is there a adapter i need to go from class a to ceiling support /double wall?Did not notice on install because did the telescopic first then class a.Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Please see the attached pdf for the picture of my ceiling support. thanks

Attachments

• images.pdf
    34.1 KB · Views: 117
Yes you should have an adaptor. I'm not sure how or why you did the stove pipe first(if I'm reading that right). Can you post a picture of what you have.

Thanks that's what I thought.He's a pic of the stove with just the telescopic pulled.

Attachments

• Missing chimney adaptor ?
    1477941572398-398817757.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 151
Newbie I guess. Was tight to a roof truss so didn't know if it would work without elbow and still have pipe plumb /hearth clearances. So we did bottom pipe then class a.
Gonna order

Well wait a minute.. it looks like you have everything. I thought you were asking about a stovepipe adaptor. Looks like you got that, I guess I don't know exactly what part you are talking about. Can you post a pic of the area in question?

Sorry here's a pic looking up through the ceiling support. class a not seated tight to ceiling box. Small gap, can see bottom of class a chimney insulation. Not sure if I should worry about it or not.Have been looking think I might order this.Does that make sense?

Attachments

14779507701941224786005.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 168
    1477951287212-1584973290.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 159
Was there any kind of hub or anything for alignment? I'm not familiar with the system you are using. I would think the class A pipe would have a rim inside the box to align it, then the male piece hanging down is the pipe adaptor.

Agreed. Normally the chimney pipe is supposed to lock into the ceiling support with a clockwise twist. Is the chimney pipe female end down? Is it safe to assume the ceiling support and the chimney pipe are matching brands?

Last edited:
Agreed. The chimney pipe is supposed to lock into the ceiling support with a clockwise twist. Is the chimney pipe female end down? Is it safe to assume the ceiling support and the chimney pipe matching brands?
Metalbestos/Selkirk typically either rest on the support box with the adaptor protruding through or the class A pipe itself passes through the box. I'm gonna guess he needs a stove pipe adaptor in that first piece before it gets dropped in.

Uh? What is holding up the class A? Not regognizing that system. However, I am no profesional! Looks differant without the class A seating completely?

Thanks guys. In the morning i'm gonna pull the top class a chimney and take a look. See if I need a adaptor or not. Something is off not sure what. I'll take some more pics and let u know.

Yes, take pics. I would expect a male hub on the top side of the ceiling support box that mates with the female end of the pipe for a sealed connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.