Missed by that much - thoughts on filling a gap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lml999

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2013
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Kodiak Enviro 1200 installed today. An old friend out of the garage and back into the house where it belongs.

Looks like I need to do some minor tweaking...there's a 1/2" gap between the top of the surround and the bottom of the fireplace opening.

Would appreciate suggestions on how to tidy this up. Obviously it's not a sealing problem...I want the air to come out, just need to make it look nice. :)

By the way, the installer did a very good job with a block off plate. He put it higher in the firebox than I did last time. Mine was just about level with the top of the opening. His is where the damper is located. I guess we were getting a lot of cold down draft with the open fireplace... I could feel the air rushing down the liner before the stove was installed, and now that everything is in place, the room feels warmer (and we haven't started a fire yet...have to wait for the inspector to sign off tomorrow.)

Again, suggestions appreciated on how to close/hide that gap.

And yea, I know, I need to clean the brick. :)

Thanks!
Missed by that much - thoughts on filling a gap?

Last edited:
One simple fix would be to attach a long 2" strip of metal to the back of the surround so that 1" of it projects above the edge. Paint the strip black. Or attach a section of angle iron (painted grey grout color) on to the underside of the lintel.

Any chance you can get the surround off and place some slate under the unit to raise it the little bit you need? I don't think that gap would be noticeable if it was on the floor.

Any chance you can get the surround off and place some slate under the unit to raise it the little bit you need? I don't think that gap would be noticeable if it was on the floor.

In our last house, we had a 2" slab of stone under the stove, primarily serving as a hearth. We chose not to use it for this installation as the stove always rocked a bit.

If i raised the stove 1/2" I'd have a gap at the bottom of each side. Might look odd. :)

I had a similar problem with my pellet stove, I had a slab of granite that I slid under the stove to raise it up.

Find someone to cut you a piece to sheet metal (U shape) and slide it in from the top.

Attachments

• Missed by that much - thoughts on filling a gap?
    20200116_203418_resized.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 215
You could raise the stove 1" on 2 sheets of cement board. A little black filler piece on each side of the insert wouldn't be as noticeable. You could even make it a little thicker than the surround so that they look like a pedestal base. Maybe use some 1" aluminum square stock.

Some good suggestions, thanks!

I originally thought about getting some 1x1" aluminum stock and making a picture frame surround. But I don't have a lot of room on the sides, so I'm thinking of adding just a 1X1 bar on the top, spaced just slightly with a couple of washers to create a small gap for esthetics.

I'll spray paint the aluminum with either flat black stove paint to match the surround, or perhaps something a bit more metallic to better match the anodized edging already in place.

Seems easier than lifting the stove and putting something underneath. I'm also not sure if I have play in the connector to the liner to do so...