Missed a bargain splitter--now what?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

paredown

Burning Hunk
Jan 11, 2009
Lower Hudson New York
I've been scanning the Facebook Marketplace for a while, and finally spotted a decent used splitter (at a price that wasn't 10% off retail)--an Ariens 22T in good shape for $500.

Then I procrastinated and emailed this morning--didn't hear back--next I looked it was marked as sold. :(
(And a second $500 splitter also just sold, but it was a little far to drive.)

Now I'm back looking--the only other deal out there (although I can't find much in the way of information) is an Echo Bearcat LS 27--which is selling for $1000, which puts it in the same range as a new Countyline or other 22T splitter. For that kind of money (unless someone here convinces me that it is the greatest thing since sliced bread) I'd rather buy new.

Anyone have opinions on the Yardmax 25T and PowerTools Direct? Seems a good price, free shipping.

I don't like the looks of that Yardmax, especially the lack of log cradle beam. I'd also look into a Speeco. Speeco still shows TSC and Family Farm and home as dealers for them around here.

Here's their website dealer finder to check in your area. Very happy with my TSC Speeco that was labeled as a Husky. Solid units for the money.

Reactions: Jazzberry
that Echo is over priced , even if it was listed at half of retail. They have good equipment but this piece is just a jump on the bandwagon thing- sourced likely from chi-com area.

Reactions: paredown
Call DHT, they will set you up. Tell them you are member of a forum that starts with an ar and ends with a te. I got my splitter for about $500 less than what I could buy it for at the store. Don't be afraid to haggle with them on the price, or adding additional items to sweeten up the deal too.

Not sure whats going on with DHT. They sold out their log splitters and have not replenished stock. Been that way for awhile,. They also clearanced a lot of the generators. I have a DHT 25t and am a little concerned about their future and parts availability.

Reactions: paredown
They have the Champion 25 tons around here for 799. Not sure how their splitters are, but certain gensets they make are the best on the market for the money bar none. I'd check out a Champion if I was in the market, and give it a hard look for that kind of money.

Not sure whats going on with DHT. They sold out their log splitters and have not replenished stock. Been that way for awhile,. They also clearanced a lot of the generators. I have a DHT 25t and am a little concerned about their future and parts availability.
Word on the street is they, or their parent company is in bankruptcy.
They have the Champion 25 tons around here for 799. Not sure how their splitters are, but certain gensets they make are the best on the market for the money bar none. I'd check out a Champion if I was in the market, and give it a hard look for that kind of money.
I have a 23T Champion for 5-6 years now...its been fine.

$710.22 after rebate...

Reactions: ColdNorCal
Man, that sucks. I bought a 25 ton from them last year during black Friday. If they go out of business, I hope most of the parts are "off the shelf" parts.

@brenndatomu, you nailed it

Frictionless World LLC filed for voluntary Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection Sept. 30, 2019, in the District of Colorado. The debtor listed an address of 1100 W. 120th Ave. #600, Westminster, and is represented in court by attorney David V. Wadsworth. Frictionless World LLC listed assets up to $14,600,503 and debts up to $17,364,542. The filing's largest creditor was listed as Frictionless LLC with an outstanding claim of $12,645,740.

And the plot thickens:

Frictionless World LLC filed for voluntary Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection Sept. 30, 2019, in the District of Colorado. The debtor listed an address of 1100 W. 120th Ave. #600, Westminster, and is represented in court by attorney David V. Wadsworth. Frictionless World LLC listed assets up to $14,600,503 and debts up to $17,364,542. The filing's largest creditor was listed as Frictionless LLC with an outstanding claim of $12,645,740.

And the plot thickens:

About 6 weeks ago I spoke with them about a inverter generator. I asked the woman if they were going to close shop, she just laughed and said no. I also spoke with a support person and asked him why they are not replenishing inventory. He said they are coming out with a new 2020 catalog and will update everything then.

About 6 weeks ago I spoke with them about a inverter generator. I asked the woman if they were going to close shop, she just laughed and said no. I also spoke with a support person and asked him why they are not replenishing inventory. He said they are coming out with a new 2020 catalog and will update everything then.
I bought a Champion generator about 5 years ago. It is super quiet and sips gas. I recommend Champion's to anybody that asks me. Hopefully they won't be filing for bankruptcy anytime soon.

If money isn't an object, I'd get a Honda. Unfortunately money is an object with most people including myself. Plus I can't see spending that kinda money on a generator that I use maybe three times a year. If I were using it everyday then that would be a different story.

The old ride the wave and when things start to slow up or its bled dry, bale and run. SOP

I bought a Champion generator about 5 years ago. It is super quiet and sips gas. I recommend Champion's to anybody that asks me. Hopefully they won't be filing for bankruptcy anytime soon.

If money isn't an object, I'd get a Honda. Unfortunately money is an object with most people including myself. Plus I can't see spending that kinda money on a generator that I use maybe three times a year. If I were using it everyday then that would be a different story.

Just bought a Duromax 2000 watt inv gen and it arrived today. Very nice unit. 3 year warranty. Ready for more PGE black outs now. I found a deal a few days ago and shared it here:

https://slickdeals.net/f/13472761-d...able-generator-271-fs-new-3-year-warranty?v=1

Have you looked at the electric splitters? They work surprisingly well. Mine doesn't owe me a dime. One mat hold you over until you find another gas one at your price range.

But seriously, a 5t electric will handle 95% of what you will throw at it.

And the plot thickens:

I'd like to read that article, but I'm not buying a subscription to do it.

Reactions: brenndatomu
Yep, these online "news" outlets that let you read 1 paragraph (or less) on your first visit and then cut you off, asking for a subscription, have about a zero chance of getting one from me!

Me too. It was the only article I could find online about it.

If I was outsourcing the building of my products to another company, it would definitely have me thinking about how I could insulate myself if that company went belly up or if we ended up in some kind of dispute. I guess building everything overseas for the cheapest cost possible isn't all it is cracked up to be.

Have you looked at the electric splitters? They work surprisingly well. Mine doesn't owe me a dime. One mat hold you over until you find another gas one at your price range.

But seriously, a 5t electric will handle 95% of what you will throw at it.
I've been using a little electric for the past few years--and yes, it will split a lot of stuff. What precipitated the search for bigger splitter was two things--we took down a big white oak that was too close to the house--and despite asking repeatedly for them to leave the large limbs to split, they ground everything up, and left me with huge rounds from the main trunk that I can't split into manageable pieces. Grrrrr...

The second is a cache of wood in friend's back yard--their tree guy bucked it up, but they are good sized sections that need splitting before I can move them down to a good loading point.

In the past I have rented a gas splitter when I've got a load of logs from the power company, and gone crazy for a day or two, but I turned 67 this year, and I don't seem to be able to kick it out like I used too. I would like the flexibility to split the big work over a few days--rental prices have gone up substantially at HD so it gets expensive for more than a day rental, the past couple of years we have burned a lot of bio-bricks because it has been hard to find time to split (and that gets expensive too) so it seemed like it might be time to get a bigger tool.

Last edited:
Reactions: kevin j
I do wish we lived closer to Menards--that rebadged Champion would be perfect!

Plus I have had my eye on one of their small roll-up doors to put in my planned shed--weirdly, even though it is a name brand door, I can't seem to find it anywhere close to me...

Closest Menard's is a 6 1/2 hr drive...

I do wish we lived closer to Menards--that rebadged Champion would be perfect!

Plus I have had my eye on one of their small roll-up doors to put in my planned shed--weirdly, even though it is a name brand door, I can't seem to find it anywhere close to me...

Closest Menard's is a 6 1/2 hr drive...

Not saying the Champion is not a quality. I did physically compare it to the DHT and it seemed a lighter duty. Another member made the same comparison with the same conclusion. Also, the Champion only holds about 4.5 gals of hydro fluid. DHT 6.5 gals. I know the DHT ram and tank gets very hot when operating and would get hotter with less fluid.

Me too. It was the only article I could find online about it.

If I was outsourcing the building of my products to another company, it would definitely have me thinking about how I could insulate myself if that company went belly up or if we ended up in some kind of dispute. I guess building everything overseas for the cheapest cost possible isn't all it is cracked up to be.

The Chapter 11 explains why Lowes heavily discounted/clearence all DHT splitters a few months ago.

Reactions: sloeffle
The Black Friday sales at Menards usually have a splitter at a good price. I’ve bought two of mine during the sale. The last one I got then was a 37 ton 10.5hp splitter for $900. That was two years ago now.

Tractor Supply is going to have their 25ton Countyline splitter starting next Wednesday for $800. free assembly and hydraulic fluid.
Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 9.21.44 PM.png

I see Menards also has a 25 ton splitter on sale Friday-Sunday for those near a store. It has a B&S 212cc engine and a side table plus a 4-way wedge but it’s not assembled and you’ll have to buy a 5 gallon bucket of fluid for it. When I bought my splitter 2 years ago in the same sale I found the best deal for a bucket of fluid was on Amazon.com. You can find the specs for this splitter on Menards web page.44AB99F3-D90A-4331-9A5C-D8A371A47471.jpeg

Thanks guys--that Country Line is currently $999 on sale at our local TS--and Menards is too far to drive.

Maybe they will drop the Country Line another $100 on Wednesday--but if it is like last time, their regional pricing will likely mean we'll never see $799--which still annoys me.

Last edited: