Minimum clearance to ceiling non-alcove Jotul 602

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

CO2Neutral

Hearth Supporter
Mar 12, 2009
PEI Canada
I can't find anything other than alcove related clearances for the Jotul 602. I'm trying to get my mother-in-law setup with the stove and where we want to put it the ceiling is 7 feet 2 inches high. Are we good to go?

Thanks!

Looks like it would need a ceiling heat shield. This is what I see in the manual:

4.6 Alcove installation
When installed with a listed double wall pipe and with wall
protection, the Jøtul F 602 USA can be placed in an alcove
that has a minimum height of 96”1 and a maximum depth
of 48”, and a minimum width of 41”. The clearances for this
installation are shown in figure 14-15, page 24.
When installed with a listed double wall pipe and with a
stove heat shield, the Jøtul F 602 USA can be placed in an
alcove that has a minimum height of 96”1 and a maximum
depth of 24”2, and a minimum width of 55”. The clearances
for this installation are shown in fig. 12-13, page 24.
In an alcove, the height of the wall protector, including the
air space at the bottom, must be at least 41” (104 cm) (see
fig. 15, page 23). Both side walls and the rear wall must be
protected by the wall protector (fig. 14, page 24).
(1See NFPA 211 for ceiling clearance reductions with
protection.)

But yours isn't an alcove install is it? Aren't the requirements for an alcove different because it is enclosed on all sides but one? So the ceiling height for an alcove install is going to be more stringent than a regular install.

The manual is frustratingly short on details. There's that one diagram where they could easily have added a minimum ceiling height.

I would note that one of Jotul's international manuals for this stove indicates 1.2 metres as the minimum height from the upper edge of the air aperture to the ceiling - of course that doesn't apply in N. America, but could it really be THAT different?

But now I'm worried.

It really depends on the inspector. I wouldn't be worried about the install with a 7'2" ceiling, but hey, this is for mom. If a simple shield on stand-offs makes it kosher, not a big deal. The heat shield can be made of stiff sheet metal painted close to the ceiling color.

She's game for anything -- I got her addicted on her original home with a vista insert and this is her new retro-fitted winterized cottage (with about R29 walls!). Anyhow, she has ductless heat pump but the wood heat bug bit her and now I'm tasked with getting her setup with the stove. Thanks for the feedback.

Good for her. I like your mother-in-law already.

An update... Jotul got back to the installer and our 7 foot 2 inch ceiling is fine to install the Jotul 602 into. It's not an alcove so the there was a bit of a gap in their install specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.