Mini Explosion in Jotul f400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bigealta

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 22, 2010
Utah & NJ
Can't believe i caught this with the camera. Had 3 of these in about 2 minutes. 1st one got the dog up and i thought it was a truck door slamming outside. Then saw a second one in the stove. Just caught this last one which was smaller than the 1st which was the strongest.

Looks like one of your splits farted.
It blew a chunk of the charred wood out.

Probably happens more often than we know. I hear thuds out of my basement burner when mine is rollin.

New batch of wood? what species ?

Last edited:
Oak, been burning this all season. That was the Small mini explosion.

This happens when a trapped moisture or sap pocket heats up to the point where steam pops the cork. Sometimes, given the right conditions, it can be dramatic. I have had embers pop six feet unexpectedly when tending a fire.