Millenium 2100 ACT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

opusthe2nd

Dec 16, 2018
Montana
I know I've talked about this before but I'm still on the topic. Anyone have a cutaway of this stove so I can see where all the air inlets are?

The stoves going to go in the spring if I cant tame this thing down. I'm looking to block every air inlet but the front 2 levers.

I know I've talked about this before but I'm still on the topic. Anyone have a cutaway of this stove so I can see where all the air inlets are?

The stoves going to go in the spring if I cant tame this thing down. I'm looking to block every air inlet but the front 2 levers.
Tell us how it is working now. What temperatures are you seeing where? And when do you start shutting the air back?

It works wonderful. I shut the air back as soon as I load it generally. Its a very fine lined game though. It doesnt overfire but its meant to burn clean, which means running hot and using more wood. I'd rather a slow, dirty burn at times. just a bit more air control and I'd be happy.

I've got to time it just right before bed else it will go quicker than I want it to. I've been playing with this for 2 years now. Sometimes I just feed it a few little pieces but thats a pain to keep after.

300-400 max on the stack as an average. I'm good at keeping an eye on my chimney but if I ever had a fire, I'd be screwed. No way to smother this thing with air control. I do understand thats how they are made but boy, thats scary.

It works wonderful. I shut the air back as soon as I load it generally. Its a very fine lined game though. It doesnt overfire but its meant to burn clean, which means running hot and using more wood. I'd rather a slow, dirty burn at times. just a bit more air control and I'd be happy.

I've got to time it just right before bed else it will go quicker than I want it to. I've been playing with this for 2 years now. Sometimes I just feed it a few little pieces but thats a pain to keep after.

300-400 max on the stack as an average. I'm good at keeping an eye on my chimney but if I ever had a fire, I'd be screwed. No way to smother this thing with air control. I do understand thats how they are made but boy, thats scary.
Why would you shut it as soon as you load it?

That is in no way how this stove is meant to be used. If you use it correctly with dry wood there really will be nothing in the chimney to burn so no concerns about a chimney fire.

300 to 400 measured where and in what way?

Sorry, I shut it down after a reload onto hot coals. I understand its meant to get hot and do the re-burn thing but I cant have it doing that all day, way too hot in here for that and a waste of wood. I end up leaving windows open most the time. Its not really that the stove is too big for the house, it just has no heat control below moderately hot, as we did with say a Fisher stove or any other non-quadrafire air-tight stove.

Been doing this for almost 50 years so I'm well aware of chimney issues. I also get up on the roof a few times during the winter to be sure.

Second section of stove pipe with an IR thermometer is usually where I check.

Sorry, I shut it down after a reload onto hot coals. I understand its meant to get hot and do the re-burn thing but I cant have it doing that all day, way too hot in here for that and a waste of wood. I end up leaving windows open most the time. Its not really that the stove is too big for the house, it just has no heat control below moderately hot, as we did with say a Fisher stove or any other non-quadrafire air-tight stove.

Been doing this for almost 50 years so I'm well aware of chimney issues. I also get up on the roof a few times during the winter to be sure.

Second section of stove pipe with an IR thermometer is usually where I check.
I can't help you if you have no interest in using the stove as intended sorry.

So you are saying I have to regulate the temperature in my house by doors and windows, instead of controlling the air flow on the stove. Something just doesnt seem right about that.....

I get it though, probably best that I swap out for a different stove.

So you are saying I have to regulate the temperature in my house by doors and windows, instead of controlling the air flow on the stove. Something just doesnt seem right about that.....

I get it though, probably best that I swap out for a different stove.
No you regulate the temperature with size of the load wood species and timing of your shut down. Depending upon the strength of your draft a pipe damper could help as well.

I ran a non cat with similar design for years and could control the heat output fairly well. I am now running a cat stove and it is easier to control.

I'll give that way a shot. I'm used to controlling with air more. A flap could help too.

You know, also I just happened to think I'm still going through some pine. Once I get into fir/larch it wont be so volatile.

Just needed to look at it a few different ways Thanks.....

I'll give that way a shot. I'm used to controlling with air more. A flap could help too.

You know, also I just happened to think I'm still going through some pine. Once I get into fir/larch it wont be so volatile.

Just needed to look at it a few different ways Thanks.....
Describe your chimney setup for us

6" pipe, 3 sections in the house then it goes 1 section through the roof and 2 sections above the roof. It goes above the peak so there is good draft.

6" pipe, 3 sections in the house then it goes 1 section through the roof and 2 sections above the roof. It goes above the peak so there is good draft.
Just saying sections doesn't tell me much. Are they 2' sections 3' sections 4' sections? I am questioning if you have to much draft not to little