Mill Saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Medic21

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2017
Northern Indiana
OK, I can get a "new" Demo MS661C that comes with full warranty and 36" bar and Chain for a grand. My question is will an M-Tronic be ok on a mill or will it run too lean? I have a 362C-M and love the M-Tronic on that but, im skeptical it will run rich enough fo that kind of use.

I was running a 064 for a while and traded for an 084. The difference is huge in favor of the 084. If you are gonna be cutting 24" and down you'll be just ok but bigger stuff or steady use will be tough on you and your saw. After running the 084 I would never run anything smaller.

Reactions: Ashful
The MTronic will be fine on the saw for use in any way,it is designed so the saw wouldn't lean out.Unless it fails.
I heard that Stihl took the seal out of a saw with MTronic and it would still run without leaning out the saw.

I am getting an 088 the district Stihl rep has. No warranty but he said very few hours, like maybe 5 gal of the Stihl gas through it.

Good decision

I am getting an 088 the district Stihl rep has. No warranty but he said very few hours, like maybe 5 gal of the Stihl gas through it.
Are you getting a decent price on it?
They need a little help to reach their potential,seeing there is no Warranty you can get the work done without worrying that you will mess up warranty.
At least you need to open up the muffler,help it breath better and shed heat better.Always retune after any work done on it.You will want to get proficient with the tuning the carb,buying a top end for a 088 isn't cheep.

Are you getting a decent price on it?
They need a little help to reach their potential,seeing there is no Warranty you can get the work done without worrying that you will mess up warranty.
At least you need to open up the muffler,help it breath better and shed heat better.Always retune after any work done on it.You will want to get proficient with the tuning the carb,buying a top end for a 088 isn't cheep.

$100 more than the 661

Yeah, I’ve rebuilt one in the shop and it was salty. I’ve got a semi load of mixed hardwood logs to pick up Saturday that the buyers didn’t want and the cutter wants out of his lot. I have not seen them but I’m sure I’ll have enough to start doing a little milling. I need pallet rack boards badly right now.

Talk about a score. It’s a load of logs and at least one semi dump load of ends. Between the three is is we will have a little splitting and cutting to do.

Reactions: Jazzberry
Nice deal. What bar/bars did you get with it? Smaller saw bars don't fit without modifying. Also I am told to make sure you have plenty of oil in your mix as they are very unforgiving on the mix.

Nice deal. What bar/bars did you get with it? Smaller saw bars don't fit without modifying. Also I am told to make sure you have plenty of oil in your mix as they are very unforgiving on the mix.

36” with it. I’ll go with aftermarket for anything bigger. I’ve had good luck with forrestor bars. Trying to decide if I should stay 3/8 or go .404 it comes 3/8. I have 3/4 of a roll of Stihl 3/8 .050 yet and that chit is expensive. I standardized all my saws two years ago when I decided to make chains. I’ll look at .404 hyperskip ripping chain and see what a couple loops will cost.

I run 40:1 AMS Oil in everything. It seems to not gum or fowl things up better than the non synthetic at that ratio.

36" is tiny for an 088. Granberg mills require an extra 6" of blade to cut their max. I do the same as you with all saws 3/8 .050 except for the 84 which is .404. I got 2 .404 bars with it on a trade but all the knowledgeable advice I got has been to stay with big chain on the big saws. Your gonna dig the power for sure its an amazing saw if you don't have to lug it around.