Mild and damp in the PNW

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mar13

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2018
California redwood coast
A moderate atmospheric river is heading towards the PNW out of the tropics. Lows in the low 50s. ( And daytime highs not much different.)

Begreen and Highbeam, do you burn any differently in this mild damp weather?

That's blaze king weather.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
My hardwoods in these warmer temps have time to burn down to a fine ash!

A moderate atmospheric river is heading towards the PNW out of the tropics. Lows in the low 50s. ( And daytime highs not much different.)

Our low temperatures were in the low 50s last night. Raining like crazy, I'm actually on call for flood duty at work!

As for burning, this is like our early fall burning weather. The rain, dampness, humidity, make no difference in my experience. It seems to be all about temperature and wind. I still burn one load every 24 hours at about 7pm but I don't load the stove fully, maybe 50-75%, so that the fire goes all the way out between reloads and the house can cool. The cat goes inactive sometime around noon. There's not enough heat demand to keep a fire running all day and I want the house to cool a bit before I refire in the evening.

We'll be back into the 20s by Monday and I can get back to full loads and more even interior temperatures.

Last edited:
Love this weather, can get 24 hour burns and still keep the house at a comfortable 21C+.

See this post from a couple of days ago.

Thirty hours is not unreasonable. We left the house yesterday at 0900 and returned today at 1230, about 27.5 hours. Temps out side were just above freezing overnight and 5C during the day. The house was still at 21C in the stove room and 18.5 C at the far ends of the house.
There was a small bit of unburned wood and lots of coals.
P_20191219_114537.jpgP_20191219_115254.jpg

And 10 minutes later...
P_20191219_120201.jpg

And on the south end of the PNW, we are having it even warmer...

No cat-stove here, so I'm more willing to use the house furnace when so little heat is needed. I appreciate the cloud cover as it keeps the nights mild and the long shadows cast by the tall redwoods block any passive solar heating that I might get from a sunny day.

Yup, definitely. With temps in the 50s we are burning electrons. The heat pump has the house at a cozy 72 and is barely running. Outdoors it's raining pineapples. 5-6" in 36 hrs. But we need it , so let it rain. We'll be sending this warmth to the east next week as this system moves eastward.

Last edited:
Thirty hours is not unreasonable. We left the house yesterday at 0900 and returned today at 1230, about 27.5 hours. Temps out side were just above freezing overnight and 5C during the day. The house was still at 21C in the stove room and 18.5 C at the far ends of the house.
There was a small bit of unburned wood and lots of coals.
View attachment 253794View attachment 253793

And 10 minutes later...
View attachment 253792
Those temps would be a cold winter storm down here on the coast of the OR/CAL border.

Spent two day in Seatlle last year before a cruise, its was 50s and raining or misting both days, spend two days on the way back and it was sunny and 70s. That was beginning of June.