Mid season sweep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
High 40’s here and dry, so swept ss liner. About 14 ft of insulated liner. One cup of brown powder mostly. The top few inches had some thicker black shiny stuff. It cleaned up good so I’m thinking it was stage 2 creosote at the top. Definitely worth getting wood dry.

Naturally the top most part will be cool and deposits will form. It is mixing with outside air at that point. Not likely to reach temps required for ignition that high up.

First season with new burner. Was surprisingly clean. No need to sweep!

First season with new burner. Was surprisingly clean. No need to sweep!
A modern non-cat burning dry wood with an interior chimney can stay pretty clean. I got a cup of soot after 2 yrs. (5.5 cords).

Reactions: Gearhead660
A modern non-cat burning dry wood with an interior chimney can stay pretty clean. I got a cup of soot after 2 yrs. (5.5 cords).
Yeah, that's what is used to get with my Regency after 2 years of hard burning, dry wood is key.

Unfortunately, after about 60-70 days of burning(last week of Sept to first of Dec) this is what mine looks like.
Mid season sweep

This is what the top four feet of a 16.5 foot run looked like...
Mid season sweepMid season sweep

And this is the top of the bottom eight feet...
Mid season sweep

I thinks my cat is done.<>

Reactions: MissMac
Been burning my new PE alderlea t5 LE insert about a month. Probably put a bit under a half cord through it so far. The picture is taken front the top of my liner. About what I should expect or more build up than I should have?

Attachments

• Mid season sweep
    20191229_124013.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 126
Yeah, that's what is used to get with my Regency after 2 years of hard burning, dry wood is key.

Unfortunately, after about 60-70 days of burning(last week of Sept to first of Dec) this is what mine looks like.
View attachment 254394

View attachment 254395View attachment 254396

View attachment 254397

What brand of tires are you burning in that stove ??

What brand of tires are you burning in that stove ??
I wish it was tires, at least I'd know what not to do. All of my wood is under 20%, but because our climate is so temperate through the winter we tend to burn low and slow.

View attachment 254394

View attachment 254395View attachment 254396

View attachment 254397

Given your location. Your wood MC must be in the upper 90% in order to get a chimney looking like this.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
Thanks for the reply. I'll keep on keeping on then
Looks almost new. How much wood have you run through it? How has the stove worked out for you so far?

Looks almost new. How much wood have you run through it? How has the stove worked out for you so far?
Just shy of a half cord of red oak since it was installed December 1st. I'm very happy with the stove so far. Really no complaints at all. Very easy to get a fire going, air control is responsive, glass stays super clean, coals left in the morning for easy reloading. Throws a ton of heat. My house is a 2 story colonial with an open floor plan, about 1800 square feet. Heats the house very well without having to push it at all. We havent had too much cold weather the last month so am waiting to see how it goes during jan/Feb. Coldest weve had was about 15 degrees and it did great. Really just a great stove. Went with it due to a lot of the good things I've read here on the forum. A great place to learn for someone new to wood stoves like myself.

I do have a bit of a concern about heat radiating up the front stone of the fireplace towards my mantel but I will start a new thread on that sometime the next day or two.

Reactions: Ludlow and Sawset
Given your location. Your wood MC must be in the upper 90% in order to get a chimney looking like this.
You would think so. We tend to get 4, popcorn dry months, June through October that gets most of my Doug fir to 20%, cedar even less. Then it gets stored for 2-3 years before burning.

my non cat hearthstone only needed to be swept every 2 years, and even then only got a coffee cup full of brown powder. my ashford not so much, i sweep 3x during the season. most of my liner stays clean, with black stuff up at the top. its 60 here, today is clean out day.

@AlbergSteve , how old is your cat? That is a lot of deposit.

Just did my chimney over the holidays. Probably 2 cords since late October netted almost half a coffee can of fine black powder. Should be able to make it til april now just fine.