Metal lining removal 1890 Victorian ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hi - I am not certain this is structural. I am looking into installing an insert. With the metal lining it will limit the size tremendously. I am told it can’t be removed - what do you all think? I have a chimney sweep coming in a couple of weeks.
What has been others experience with this?

Metal lining removal 1890 Victorian ??Metal lining removal 1890 Victorian ?? Metal lining removal 1890 Victorian ?? Metal lining removal 1890 Victorian ?? Metal lining removal 1890 Victorian ?? Metal lining removal 1890 Victorian ??

It looks retrofitted. Do a little exploratory surgery. If there is 8" of brick behind it then it should be able to be removed. In an old fireplace and chimney you will need and want a fully insulated liner.

Reactions: oldhouselady
It may be cosmetic and retrofitted to dress up the fireplace.

Reactions: oldhouselady