Measured pipe but not sure of the size?...Now with Pictures!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

RK05

May 5, 2011
South West Ohio
I measured the circumference of our basement fireplace pipe and got 29". If I did my math right that comes out to be 9.23" diameter.

Could this be a double wall 6" pipe?

Trying to find out what size pipe we have so I can pick a stove to replace this free standing fireplace.

Thanks

Can you look up inside your fire box and measure the diameter of the exhaust hole? Most manufactured fireplaces chimneys are much larger than 6", more like 10". Those chimneys aren't usually rated for wood stoves either and need to be relined or replaced. Does the fireplace have a manufactures tag on it somewhere? If so you may be able to look up the manual online for more info.

I can see about looking up in the fireplace to measure the opening from the inside.

I haven't noticed any markings as to the manufactor but then again I didn't look for that at all. Its a strange looking fireplace and by they looks of it from the 70's or early 80's?

Does it look like Darth Vader's helmet? You'll need to know more than just the pipe diameter. The actual type and rating of the pipe is important. Many of these stoves had pipe rated at 1700F. For a woodstove you will need a 2100F HT rated pipe. Look all the way up the pipe for a label that specifies its temperature rating and/or tested spec.

If you can post a picture, that would also help.

Funny, I think it does kind of look like Darth Vaders helmet or a upside down funnel!

I'll see if I got any pics or will post some.

I know the portion that runs through the attic is about double dia what is seen in the basement if that helps any.

On mine, the decorative surround came off easily. Under that was a manufacturer tag with all kinds of information. Using that, I could have gone on line to retrieve the parts list and owners manual. From that you can get the size of the smoke tube. Then call the manufacturer to see what you can do regarding a hearth mount stove etc. They might be able to point you toward makes and models that could fit in their appliance.

Here are some pics of what we have.

[Hearth.com] Measured pipe but not sure of the size?...Now with Pictures!

(broken image removed)

(broken image removed)

I'm going to guess that is 8" 1700F pipe. But that is just a guess.

It does look like Darth Vaders helmet!

Long time ago I rented a house with a fireplace like that, it was orange, only burned it a couple times, didn't heat very well. Does that chimney pipe go right up to the top of the brick chimney or terminate at the roof line? It doesn't look like class A chimney in that attic but then you have a brick clay lined chimney above the roof. Probably would be best to have a certified chimney sweep come out and see what you need.

Todd said:
Long time ago I rented a house with a fireplace like that, it was orange, only burned it a couple times, didn't heat very well. Does that chimney pipe go right up to the top of the brick chimney or terminate at the roof line? It doesn't look like class A chimney in that attic but then you have a brick clay lined chimney above the roof. Probably would be best to have a certified chimney sweep come out and see what you need.
Todd, does that maybe look like a fake metal brick chimney surround on the roof? So then the metal chimney in the attic would go on through that clear to the top? Just thinking.....

Yes, the chimney goes straight up through the roof and it is a fake brick sheet metal covering.

I didn't get to measure it or look for any marking last night due to my birthday dinner!

If it were to be an 8" could I put a double wall 6" down it or would the outside dimension be to large for a double wall 6"?

Thanks

I'd tear the whole thing out and replace it with a new 6" class A chimney with support box for the ceiling, then stove pipe down to the new stove. You may be able to salvage that fake brick chase and slide the new chimney down inside if you like the look.

I really don't like the look of that fake brick covering, I would rather have a SS pipe coming out the top.

Could anyone give me a (guess)estimate of what it would cost me to put in a new flue for a ranch style house (stove is in basement)? I have been in another thread about the 30-NC stove and thinking about getting one from HD for that crazy low price but I have not even begun to research the cost of a whole new flue.

Thanks

If you are talking DIY for the flue installation I would guestimate it will be about $1200-1500 in parts.

I think I may need to hold off then on buying that 30-NCH stove if the pipe is gonna cost around that much.

I had a company come out last year to sweep the chimneys, maybe I should get them back out to have them see what I have and the cost for them to do it. I had budgeted around $1200 thinking I could use the existing pipe but without knowing what we have I don't want to buy a stove that will be sitting around.

Status
Not open for further replies.