May be time to move to pellets or gas...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

morganp107

Oct 30, 2018
Peru, NY
This group has been a great resource for me through the years. I got some bad news today from my chimney sweep that our stainless steel liner for my wood stove needs to be replaced. It was replaced just a few years ago, but the tech shared the creosote has rebuilt to the point it is dangerous and should no longer be used. I will get the final report later this week with pictures. At this point, I am considering moving to a pellet or gas stove instead as I think my burn practices probably contributed to this issue. I have a unique fireplace that is open on two sides, and if I moved to pellets or gas, I am not sure what units may work well in this space? A simpler alternative may be to install a freestanding pellet or gas stove somewhere else in the room against an exterior wall for venting, but I have a hard time moving away from using this fireplace. Any ideas and suggestions welcome. I attached a photo of the fireplace.

[Hearth.com] May be time to move to pellets or gas...

The bad part of pellets is finding a GOOD source for them. One that doesnt run out. My Father In Law had a pellets stove. It took 3 Jeeps and a truck to move it from the store to his house. He bought a whole pallet I think.....anyways, it didnt last all winter.

The liner needs to be replaced because it has creosote in it? I'm thinking you may want to hire someone else, like a chimney sweep, to clean your chimney. They can be cleaned and should be at least once every year.

If your problem is poor fuel supply then since you will be buying fuel anyway(pellets or gas) then why not buy the pallets of manufactured firewood? Those are super dry and ready to go with much less effort than firewood. Sure, they cost more than firewood, but less then pellets.

Reactions: stoveliker
I agree with all the above responses. Anything can be corrected (or replaced if needed). If you are indeed motivated with wood heat, you can improve your technique. How long have you been burning wood for? There is a knowledge base that leads to burning clean enough to not have excess buildup in chimney. So even if you have been burning for years, you may have been doing so with out the best technique. I wouldn’t give up on wood without making some changes to your procedure. Unless, you’re not really feeling it anymore.

Agreed, something does not sound right. A SS chimney a few years old and needing to be replaced because its gunked up. Mine is 25 years old and as clean as the day it was new. With cleaning once a year.
So your install may have to many bends, Might not draft well. You burn poor wood with cold fires, etc.

I’d get a 2nd opinion before replacing. It’s gotta be REALLY bad if it needed to be replaced, something sounds fishy to me.

Reactions: wetwood4life
Thank you all for your earlier comments. You all were right, something was fishy. Had a second company out and said everything seemed in good order. They are coming back to use their camera just for piece of mind, but politely shared others have experienced this with my original sweep.

In the meantime, I bought a moisture meter to double check my wood that has been seasoning between 1-2 years and it came back around 15% on average.

Safety is my number one priority, but I am glad I got a second opinion.

Reactions: Highbeam
Did you resplit a piece before you measured parallel to the grain on the freshly exposed surface?

If you can, have the sweep you’re working eith now take some pics of the inside of liner. Then post them here. We will give you 100 objective advice. Glad you got that second opinion

If you can, have the sweep you’re working eith now take some pics of the inside of liner. Then post them here. We will give you 100 objective advice. Glad you got that second opinion
Thanks for that. They are planning to come and use a camera. Appreciate all the support here, I was ready to give up.

Thanks for that. They are planning to come and use a camera. Appreciate all the support here, I was ready to give up.
I can’t say for sure about the first sweep, but you wonder if was one of the scammy companies that make it on the news every once in a while.