Q&A Masonry Fireplace + Woodstove install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

>I have a brick masonry fireplace with elevated hearth (circa 1986 construction). The flue is lined with 13" square chimney liner structural clay. There is a steel damper frame and damper built into >the firebox with associated fire shelf above it.

>Here is the question - Most woodstoves have 6" round exhaust flues, How do you get a 6" diameter pipe through the fireplace damper frame? My frame is about 5" deep x 16" wide and has a 'nipple' right >in the center which is part of the mechanism used to raise and lower the damper plate.

Am I missing something obvious? Is there some type of flue adapter for 6" pipe. I want to run 6" flue pipe as far as I can up the masonry flue but cannot get it past my existing fireplace damper without significantly deforming it. Any assistance appreciated. >Thanks.

Answer:

In our neck of the woods we would start out with 6" ovalized stainless flex to pass through the damper. Then we would go into 6" round rigid stainless lengths to the top and seal with the top support plate, support clamp, storm collar and cap. All would be insulated with ceramic foil wrap. In the damper area we would place hi-temp insulation to create a thermal block.

Now when you clean your chimney, everything drops into your insert's firebox. A bit more costly than other methods but generally well worth the extra cost. This method (liner)also passes all UL-1777 and NFPA 211 requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.