Masonry fireplace vs ZC fireplace - which do I have?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

tamure

Hearth Supporter
Oct 2, 2009
N. Nevada
OK, I think I made a mistake. I thought I had a "masonry fireplace" because there's a big hunk of bricks in the middle of my house, from the crawlspace through the roof. However, I was just reading that a "zero clearance" fireplace is a fireplace with an insulated metal jacket that allows it to placed right up to wood structures. I was also looking (again) at the literature for Lopi inserts, and it says the Answer and the Endeavor are approved Superior ZC fireplaces (among other brands).

Lo and behold, the grill on the front of my fireplace says "Superior Fireplace."

For some reason, I thought ZC fireplaces were a relatively new thing. My fireplace is about 60 years old. From the look of the chimney and the brick structure under the house, I figured it was masonry all around, and the metal "jacket" was placed inside the masonry.

Is there anyway I can check to confirm this?

The grill that say superior fireplace --> is that just a fireplace enclosure? When you look into your fire box - do you see any metal or is it all fire brick and up to a clay chimney liner? If it's 60 years old --> I'd say you've got a masonary fireplace with some sort of fireplace enclosure.

Post some pictures.

Oops, forgot the pics.

[Hearth.com] Masonry fireplace vs ZC fireplace - which do I have?

[Hearth.com] Masonry fireplace vs ZC fireplace - which do I have?

It looks like there is a metal box inside a metal box (With nothing between the boxes). What I can't tell is if the whole shebang is encased in brick also. Can't get pics under the house right now cause I'm on my lunch break and still in my work clothes.

The insert I ordered is the Lopi Declaration, which apparently is not approved for ZC fireplaces. :(

Looks like some kind of "Heatilator" type setup; maybe the experts here can give you more info, but I would say it is "neither fish nor fowl." It is not a ZC fireplace, as "zero clearance" implies "to combustibles." And it is not, strictly speaking, a masory FP. I would guess it is a "steel fireplace in a masonry enclosure" but that is just my observation, not a technical term.

The vents on either side and on top are the mfg's attempt to get a little bit more heat into the house instead of up the flue.

Is the chimney "outside" or "inside" and is it a masonry chimney where it exits the roof?

As I said before, hopefully the experts here can tell you whether you can install your insert into this FP. I recall reading several posts of folks who have installed inserts into Heatilator FP's, but I don't recall spefics.

Peace,
- Sequioa

Thanks, Sequioa.

The chimney is "inside" the house. It goes up through the middle of the attic, and out near the top of the roof line. It is brick all the way through the attic and out the top. It looks like it is brick, literally from the ground (under the house), to the top. But without actually tearing into the wall behind the fireplace (which I just reprimed, textured, painted and wainscoted!), I guess I can't confirm that it is in fact brick all the way through. I just assumed it was. (I know, I know)

Here

http://www.yourwayfireplaces.com/docs/Air Circulating Metal Fireplaces.pdf

Is a good article on "Air Circulating Metal Fireplaces" ... which is what you seem to have. About 1/2 way down the 2nd page is a paragraph on "cutting fireplace for liner installation."

Good luck.

Peace,
- Sequoia

These are also known as "Heatform" fireplaces. I just converted one for use with a woodstove. I'll warn you that the metal they're made of is pretty stout so cutting it can be tough. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.