Masonry fireplace after earthquake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kari

Mar 30, 2020
Tacoma
Hi! I just purchased my first home, and boy is there a steep learning curve to this fixer upper. I'm on a new project: the fireplace.

I knew the fireplace was out of commission due to an earthquake a few years ago when I signed the dotted line. I accept that it isn't safe to operate as is. I want to see if it is repairable when my budget allows, but for now, I just want to make it more aesthetically appealing and ensure that it isn't causing deeper issues.

The liner in this 1950s masonry fireplace is rusting out. Where liner meets brick mantle on sides and top, insulation is exposed. The flue is rusted and immovable, and airflow is evident by the fluttering spider webs up there. A chimney cap and some kind of reinforcement was said to be done by previous owner after the quake, but there is no documentation of this. I have next to no knowledge on this topic and am eager to learn more.

My first thought is to paint the rusty liner, weatherstrip the exposed insulation, and put some kind of ceiling in the fireplace to block the draft (and spiders) from the flue. Please tell me if this is a stupid or unsafe idea, lol!! Could this create moisture issues? Is there a better solution? Advice appreciated :)

The metal chimney sounds suspicious. Is this a full masonry fireplace, a ZC fireplace with a masonry facade or a heatilator style fireplace? If full masonry it sounds like there may have been an insert installed at one point. If so the liner should have been stainless steel. Post a picture or three if it will help.

Bandaid repairs have no place with fire. I removed our fireplace after the earthquake and it was a full masonry system.

FYI, our fireplace had a full stainless, rigid liner. That was the only thing that held our chimney top in place during the earthquake. It rotated 45º in the process. I did a temporary rebuild on the chimney top that summer, but removed the whole thing in 2006.

Thanks for the response. I had to look up what the various fireplace types were! Very new to this. I will post photos.
Sounds like I was wrong to call it a masonry fireplace. Seemed like a safe call because everything about this house is solid brick - it was built by a mason for his daughter.

Ok, this looks like a heatilator style fireplace. It looks like the safest approach would be to install an insulated 6" stainless steel liner and an insert if the goal is to produce safe heat.

Reactions: Kari
Thank you for the insight, it gives me a starting point. That could be within my means to do, but I'm concerned that more unseen damage is at hand. Otherwise, I'm not sure why previous owner's inspection would result in calling it inoperable if it was just a matter of putting in a new liner. Until I have more disposable funds on hand to deal with whatever crops up (doesn't seem wise to be a big spender in these unusual times), I am not ready to try fixing it. Just hoping to block the draft and make it less of an eyesore for the next few months.

An insulated 6" liner would be inside of the current liner providing a protected flue from the insert up to the cap on top. You could block it off temporarily with some cardboard to reduce draft.

An insulated 6" liner would be inside of the current liner providing a protected flue from the insert up to the cap on top. You could block it off temporarily with some cardboard to reduce draft.

Okay, I will definitely look into this. Thank you!!