Masonry Adapter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NateH

Nov 19, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ok guys. Here’s my situation... I have a freestanding stove that I want to vent into my existing chimney. My plan: drop my Ventis heavy duty insulated liner down the chimney and connect my double wall ventis Black pipe to the liner tee body via a masonry adapter.

My big question: what are the clearances for that masonry adapter going through the chimney wall.

I will include some pictures.

Attachments

• Masonry Adapter
    4A0D3D98-B0D3-4299-B968-F1B8173D14D2.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 154
  • Masonry Adapter
    527ED910-C115-4F10-8BE5-F3AED65F7BED.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 132
  • Masonry Adapter
    83A40B51-86D9-477A-BD03-668E786D4BED.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 116
Ok guys. Here’s my situation... I have a freestanding stove that I want to vent into my existing chimney. My plan: drop my Ventis heavy duty insulated liner down the chimney and connect my double wall ventis Black pipe to the liner tee body via a masonry adapter.

My big question: what are the clearances for that masonry adapter going through the chimney wall.

I will include some pictures.
That is intended to go inside a proper masonry wall passthrough. So 12" of solid masonry surrounding it.

Looks like Ventis shows you need 12x12.

Where are you seeing 12x12 for the masonry adapter? It is meant to go from doublewall pipe into a proper masonry thimble.

Bholler, it’s solid masonry. I just built that 2x4 wall out for the back of the hearth. From what I understood a through the wall unit wouldn’t work because I wasn’t going all the way through the wall.

I am beyond frustrated with this whole thing. I’m almost done with this remodel/addition and I just want to get it done and do it right.

That is for a wall passthrough not a masonry adapter

You posted right before me, this: That is intended to go inside a proper masonry wall passthrough. So 12" of solid masonry surrounding it.

How is that different then my post?

You posted right before me, this: That is intended to go inside a proper masonry wall passthrough. So 12" of solid masonry surrounding it.

How is that different then my post?
The difference is you need 12" on all sides so 12" masonry+ 6"pipe+ 12"masonry so 30"x30"

The difference is you need 12" on all sides so 12" masonry+ 6"pipe+ 12"masonry so 30"x30"

Right 12x12 clearance..... Im confused. I didnt say a 12x12 hole. They asked for clearance.

I don’t get the difference either. I mean I get it... I know the difference between 12x12 and 12+6+12=30 but are you saying a wall pass through requires the 30x30 or the masonry adapter?

This is from the Ventis site:
1. There should be a horizontal opening into the chimney through a non-combustible wall. Fit the Masonry Adapter (VDB-MA) into this hole. Attach the adapter collar to the masonry wall using screws and masonry anchors (not supplied). Seal the joint between the collar and the masonry wall with a high temperature silicone caulking.
2. When installing Ventis Black Double Wall into a re-lined masonry chimney, follow the procedure as above, making sure the masonry adapter slides onto the tee take-off by at least 2 inches. Firmly attach using 3 self-tapping screws.
3. Attach connector pipe to appliance using instructions above.

As far as I see, there is nothing specific about the hole into the chimney. I was going to put the hole where I needed it.

Bholler, it’s solid masonry. I just built that 2x4 wall out for the back of the hearth. From what I understood a through the wall unit wouldn’t work because I wasn’t going all the way through the wall.

I am beyond frustrated with this whole thing. I’m almost done with this remodel/addition and I just want to get it done and do it right.
Just switch out the wood studs for steel and cover with a non combustible materials

I don’t get the difference either. I mean I get it... I know the difference between 12x12 and 12+6+12=30 but are you saying a wall pass through requires the 30x30 or the masonry adapter?

This is from the Ventis site:
1. There should be a horizontal opening into the chimney through a non-combustible wall. Fit the Masonry Adapter (VDB-MA) into this hole. Attach the adapter collar to the masonry wall using screws and masonry anchors (not supplied). Seal the joint between the collar and the masonry wall with a high temperature silicone caulking.
2. When installing Ventis Black Double Wall into a re-lined masonry chimney, follow the procedure as above, making sure the masonry adapter slides onto the tee take-off by at least 2 inches. Firmly attach using 3 self-tapping screws.
3. Attach connector pipe to appliance using instructions above.

As far as I see, there is nothing specific about the hole into the chimney. I was going to put the hole where I needed it.
To pass through a combustible wall which your framed wall is with a connection to a masonry chimney you need to use a ul listed wall passthrough. Or you can do a masonry wall passthrough which requires 12" of solid mosonry surrounding the pipe.

Those instructions are for going through a noncombustible wall. That is not what you have.

Reactions: weatherguy
Just switch out the wood studs for steel and cover with a non combustible materials

Okay. That is good to hear. I was aware that I had to reconstruct the wall slightly. I am going to lower the wood studs, replace with steel studs/framing where I go through the wall. I just don’t want to have to rebuild it a third time or do anything that’s not safe.

Do you guys believe I still need to brick all the way around the adapter? I am going to replace the wood studs with steel studding, then the adapter will then go through the brick chimney with no wood in those clearances. But it will be approx 3.5” off the chimney. I honestly don’t know, is this just a horrible idea, or will it work? I was also going to surround the pipe with Roxul insulation under the cement board.