Martin SC36M Conversion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Beyerl20

Oct 31, 2022
Mansfield Ohio
Hello Everyone!

Last year I purchased a home with an existing Martin SC36M fireplace. The unit has seen some better days and I would like to convert it to an electric insert.

My questions;
What sizes unit could I replace this with?
How hard would the switch be?
What do I do about the existing venting - which I shouldn’t need with the conversion.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Attachments

• Fireplace_Manual_MARTIN_001.pdf
    13.7 MB · Views: 103
Are you looking for a complete replacement or a simpler solution? One option would be to cap the chimney at the top, close the damper, and have a permanent label placed at the back of the fireplace stating that the chimney is capped. then install an insert. A unit like this should have a dedicated electrical circuit.
If the goal is complete replacement then the chimney pipe should be removed and a sealed plate attached to the chase top cap sealing off the hole. Then the fireplace is removed, wiring is brought into the chase (if not already there), and the new electric fireplace is installed.

Hi @begreen !

I absolutely want a simpler solution. My thought was to simply pull the existing unit out and replace with an electric insert. I have no desire to ever use the fireplace in its existing state.

So are you saying the 28” would work in place of this unit or I would insert it into the existing fireplace opening?

I can take pictures of what I have and post if that would help.

I don't know much about what's available. This just came up in a quick search. According to the manual, this unit can be put into an existing fireplace. There may be better choices and solutions.

@begreen thanks!
How do I measure to determine the appropriate size of the unit? Would I talk off the existing vents above and below the actual fireplace?

I’ve attached a photo.

Thanks for all your help!

Martin SC36M Conversion