Marketplace find P43

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eternal10

Jan 8, 2018
SE PA
So I picked up a P43 on MP the other day for $300. Works perfect but needs some tlc. Gonna sand down and repaint. Already started the process.it’s a little rusty especially inside ash pan compartment. Any advice of how to remove it. Was gonna just wire wheel and brush it then repaint. But it’s close quarters.

Reactions: Washed-Up
That’s pretty much what I’ve done with the stoves I’ve refurbished, sandpaper and wirewheel, a dremel is great for the tight spots….Stovebright black satin looks great on them when it’s time to paint. Post some pics and keep us posted.

Calling @Don2222 - I'll bet you have some good advice.

So I picked up a P43 on MP the other day for $300. Works perfect but needs some tlc. Gonna sand down and repaint. Already started the process.it’s a little rusty especially inside ash pan compartment. Any advice of how to remove it. Was gonna just wire wheel and brush it then repaint. But it’s close quarters.
Hello
Good find!
I have refinished many pellet stoves.
I vacuum out the ash and then wire wheel it. For the tight rough spots a small grinder such as the Home Depot Husky brand pneumatic right angle die grinder works well
For the easy access areas I like the small 4.5” harbor freight electric angle grinder with a flap pad.
After that, I clean up the surface dust and oils with Acetone so the paint sticks better.
The spray paint I use for the fire box is VHT flat black 2,000 Deg very high temperature header paint at your local auto supply.
The outside paint, I use the Stove Bright Satin Black 1,400 Deg paint
That’s all :)
Media blasting helps too.
I have used Tractor Supplies Black Diamond media but I prefer white aluminum oxide
:)
Here is an old Quadrafire Classic Bay I did a little refurbishment with pics.
Hope this info helps. :)

Last edited:
Hello
Good find!
I vacuum out the ash and then wire wheel it. For the tight rough spots a small grinder such as the Home Depot Husky brand pneumatic right angle die grinder works well
For the easy access areas I like the small 4.5” harbor freight electric angle grinder with a flap pad.
After that, I clean up the surface dust and oils with Acetone so the paint sticks better.
The spray paint I use for the fire box is VHT flat black 2,000 Deg very high temperature header paint at your local auto supply.
I have used Tractor Supplies Black Diamond media but I prefer white aluminum oxide
Awesome thanks. I just returned from vacation and will be starting on it tomorrow. Will post some pics as I go.

Hello
Good find!
Black diamond blasting media has to be the nastiest stuff ever made.

Awesome thanks. I just returned from vacation and will be starting on it tomorrow. Will post some pics as I go.
Marketplace find P43
Marketplace find P43 Marketplace find P43 Marketplace find P43 Marketplace find P43 Marketplace find P43 Marketplace find P43

Reactions: SidecarFlip
I'm sure it wasn't pretty. Most used stoves aren't. Have to go fetch my 600 buck Facebook Marketplace 6039 this week and refurb it. I believe with the way propane prices are going, it will wind up in my shop and I'll turn down the PEX floor heat. Not like I don't have plenty of corn to roast. Just picked up 7 ton.