Marco Refractory Parts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shaklee3

Jan 4, 2020
San Diego
Hi, I have a Marco DWF36F-3 with a crack in the back refractory. I'm having no luck finding any repair person to come out since it seems these parts are impossible to come by. I've seen some sites that make generic replacements, but they're only up to 1.25", while the original is 1.5" I believe. What are my options here, if any? I've heard replacing the entire thing will be upwards of $10k. Picture attached.
Marco Refractory Parts

Oh wow, something I cam comment on.

I have a 30+ year old Marco. I don’t know the model. About 15 years ago my back brick was doing the same as the OP’s. At the time, replacement was available but about $300. What irked me was the dealer,’s attitude; kind of snotty.

So I called a brick supplier. They carried refractory brick and refractory cement. I cleaned the firebox very well and cemented a new layer right of the crumbling brick. Total cost was about $30 as I recall.

The additional brick is holding up well. I burn about a cord a year just for ambience: I run a little cooler fires now, Yes the firebox is a little shallower but it hasn’t been a problem.

I’m nowhere near as knowledgeable as most that post here. I’m just a user and not in the fireplace industry. They. might say I have really screwed up and am about to burn my house down but after 15 years I rather doubt it,

Hope this helps.

Thanks. It looks like the original owner did indeed try to repair the crack, but it seems even that has crumbled over time. Just for peace of mind, I'm probably going to try replacing the panels.