Maple tree transplant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zrock

Minister of Fire
Dec 2, 2017
bc
Last year i got 3 maple trees from a buddy that we pulled from his back yard. 1 was about 4-5ft and the other 2 were about 3ft, we pulled them with a large root ball... This year the larger of the 3 is growing like a bad weed lots of new growth going to be a nice tree... The other 2 i don't think have grown at all they still came back with all their leaves and look healthy and get lots of water but nothing.. They were furtalized well last year when we planted them. Was hoping they were going to get some growth this year. Even the other new trees i planted this year have fresh growth.. Im puzzled as to why they are not growing especially a maple..

Sometimes this happens when you move a tree. They don't do well with change. Keep an eye on the two slower trees, it might take some time for them to put energy into growing. They are probably focused on their roots.

The old saying, sleep-creep-leap, might apply to these new transplants. One year sleep, one year creep and then leap up. I'm dealing with a nutrient issue myself this year.

Also, if 50% of the foliage was not pruned when transplanting it will take the roots some time to catch up with the demands of the leaves.

It sounds like trees were fairly small and easy to transplant. Or you could just have had a couple bad specimens (poor root development), cankers, trunk damage by animals.
It's not surprising that the first year is the most stressful considering 90%+ of roots of tree are cut when transplanting (hence the adage
One year sleep, one year creep and then leap up
).
The timing of dig (dormant v. actively growing) and its condition (moisture, disease) will have bearing on future health of the transplant.
The nursery industry recommends digging rootball 10" minimum (12" better) for each inch of stem caliper (things get heavy fast).

The nursery/ arboriculture industry used to recommend pruning/ thinning healthy branches to offset root loss from transplant, but now the thinking is more in line with keeping the transplanted tree in proper moisture regime after planting, and to optimize shoot/ top growth permit the tree to determine any branch loss (and later prune off only those limbs that die) as it reaches equilibrium between root:shoot.
https://www.mortonarb.org/trees-pla...vice/horticulture-care/caring-new-transplants
Some nurseries will pre-dig (root prune) months in advance of digging for field production to increase transplant survival particaullarry for certain species https://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/woody/root-pruning-protocal.shtml

Reactions: SpaceBus
These ones were pretty small and not allot of leaf growth on them when i got them... So i guess ill just sit and wait and hopfully next year they will come to life.. nothing to loose by waiting i guess.... The one that is growing like a bad weed all the growth for the first part of the summer is on one side.. the other side now seems like its starting to slowly catch up. I figure ill let it do its thing this year and then prune it down next year.. The branches are growing faster than the main tree. I need to dig back around the trunks of the smaller ones since the grass has grown right up against the tree and iv nipped it trimming the grass.. for now i have taken some pipe wrap and put a 6 inch pc at the trunk to protect it..

Reactions: SpaceBus
These ones were pretty small and not allot of leaf growth on them when i got them... So i guess ill just sit and wait and hopfully next year they will come to life.. nothing to loose by waiting i guess.... The one that is growing like a bad weed all the growth for the first part of the summer is on one side.. the other side now seems like its starting to slowly catch up. I figure ill let it do its thing this year and then prune it down next year.. The branches are growing faster than the main tree. I need to dig back around the trunks of the smaller ones since the grass has grown right up against the tree and iv nipped it trimming the grass.. for now i have taken some pipe wrap and put a 6 inch pc at the trunk to protect it..

Nice tip with the PVC! We are planning on transplanting some trees from an area that naturally became a tree nursery.

Give the other trees a chance to develop good root systems. If the foliage looks good then the odds are they are fine.

I use 4" and 6" black corrugated drain to make protective collars around young trees. It's sturdy, but easy to cut with a utility knife and the black color doesn't stand out.

Give the other trees a chance to develop good root systems. If the foliage looks good then the odds are they are fine.

I use 4" and 6" black corrugated drain to make protective collars around young trees. It's sturdy, but easy to cut with a utility knife and the black color doesn't stand out.

I’ve used the same thing. Works well but they can be a pain to remove once the trunk fills them up. You can’t just plunge a blade into the pipe at that point.

Well go figure now that i have posted this they are growing..LOL... the smallest has a load of new red leaves on it and i can see the branches on the other have a little new growth.. The temps have been cool and rainy the last bit and have been giving them a good dose of water every few days..
The trees know i tattled on them so they decided to smarten up..LOL

I’ve used the same thing. Works well but they can be a pain to remove once the trunk fills them up. You can’t just plunge a blade into the pipe at that point.
I cut a vertical, full-length slit on all of mine. That makes it easy to slip on or off.

Reactions: thewoodlands

Use a Stanley knife set at a shallow depth. Have one person heat the corrugated pipe till it's nice and hot, but not burning, just soft. Follow with the Stanley and it will go through it like butter. What doesn't cut with the Stanley re-heat and press through it with a putty knife.

Ended up digging out and putting about a 1 foot mulch ring around the trees.. Next year the one tree that is growing well im going to have to prune as all the growth was on one side of the tree and the branch's grew about 3 foot this season on that side. If it continues to do that next year ill probably just get rid of it as when it gets bigger that is going to be dangerous with all the growth on the house side of the tree