Mantle clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

OregonMike

Dec 4, 2018
Portland, OR
Curious if anyone knows why a masonry fireplace has a higher clearance requirement from the mantle than a flush fireplace. According to my instruction manual I need a mantle shield to pass inspection because I have masonry when I'd have more than enough space if it was flush.

What is the clearance for, the Lopi? If so it's because there is more heat forward of the fireplace opening out on the hearth from the top of the stove.

What is the clearance for, the Lopi? If so it's because there is more heat forward of the fireplace opening out on the hearth from the top of the stove.
30 1/2 for masonry 24 inch for a metal fireplace. I'm just curious since the combustible material would be the same height, the only difference would be that the non combustable brick and stone is away from the wall.

Link to instructions:
https://www.lopistoves.com/product-detail.aspx?model=210#inst-tab

Ok, I pulled up the manual and now see what you mean. I'm not why this is, but would assume that they tested and came up with this clearance based on thermocouple readings on the underside of the mantel. Maybe the masonry conducted more heat than the hollow convection jacket around the ZC fireplace?

Ok, I pulled up the manual and now see what you mean. I'm not why this is, but would assume that they tested and came up with this clearance based on thermocouple readings on the underside of the mantel. Maybe the masonry conducted more heat than the hollow convection jacket around the ZC fireplace?

Makes sense, I'm literally a inch and a half short. Wondering if I should just take the thing off after I get it inspected.

Can you attach it on spacers to the underside of the mantel? If it was painted black it would barely be noticeable.