Mantel shield ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

HalleysComet

Oct 22, 2014
nj
Hey all. Literally just finished in putting in our Keystone we ordered a year ago that we finally got in August. Need some help with mantel shield ideas as I can't find too much info on them.

Thanks!

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Mantel shield ideas
    image.webp
    253.8 KB · Views: 104
After scouring the forum myself over the past year, here's a synopsis of what I've gleaned. I'm going with 24ga patterned copper sheet (e.g. http://www.quickshipmetals.com/copper/copper.html). I'm going to have to see mine though - you may be able to get away with a low-profile installation, so something less sexy (and expensive) may suffice. Not always stated in manuals but conventional wisdom says it should be as wide as floor protection (or thereabouts). And 1" ceramic spacers, keeping it open to circulation from bottom to top. And the experts say not to worry about the metal screws used the ceramic spacers, even though it does seem a little self-defeating. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.