Mantel clearances on a corner install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mmessier2

Oct 18, 2019
Ca
We are building a hearth and installing a wood stove in a corner. We would love to have a wooden (combustible) mantle against the two walls. Im having a very difficult time finding clearances for a hearth. Here is the information I have:

Stove: Vermont Castings Encore Flex
Install Type: Corner

From that document I see 28" clearance from top of stove to mantle... but Im not sure if that applies to a corner install or only a fireplace install. Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• Mantel clearances on a corner install
    mantle.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Mantel clearances on a corner install
    fpinstall.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 79
There isn't any direct guidance for this type of installation so using the fireplace mantel clearance spec may be the best you find. There is no harm in exceeding the minimal clearance. If you don't make the mantel too deep it should be ok. Just remember that the stovepipe also has its own clearance spec - 18" for single-wall and 6" for double-wall. That needs to be honored too. Or - use a non-combustible mantel instead.

Reactions: mmessier2
Thank you. I have some cedar I milled from my property that I would love to use, but if we arent within the specs I will go with something non-combustible.

It may be ok, it's just that the manufacturer has not tested for this configuration so there is no spec. If the shelf is not too deep, say 8", at or more than the recommendation for mantel clearance in the manual, and meets the clearance required for the stovepipe, then it may be ok. If you find it getting too warm after installation a mantel shield could be added on standoffs to the bottom of the shelf for further protection.

Reactions: mmessier2
Mantel would be 6" wide at the greatest. I talked to one stove installer who basically stated any combustible mantel would create an alcove, which this stove does not support. That doesnt make any sense to me.

Doesn't make sense at all to me either. An alcove has 3 sides.