Mama stove pipe adapter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Enplater

Burning Hunk
Jun 6, 2017
NH
do mama bear stoves need a stove pipe adapter like the grandma does? I found a craigslist mama for $175 and I think I’ll buy it and fix it up, but I’ll try to run it this season if I can.

Yeah that’s what I thought, thanks CamFan.

The mama turned out to be junk, looks like someone tried to melt it. Oh well.

The mama turned out to be junk, looks like someone tried to melt it. Oh well.

Sorry to hear that. I guess some people think that these stoves are indestructible.

That's also another reason why I won't buy a refurbished Fisher. I have no idea what kind of damage or abuse that new paint might be hiding.

At least they left it as-is, so you could see the condition it is in.

Also there was a big crack in the door but it came with an extra door that was in good shape.

The extra door would not have fit without repositioning the hinge plates anyway.
There's plenty of good used Fishers out there, you just need to keep looking. Craigslist and Facebook Market are good places to search.

Reactions: CamFan
One in 25-50 may fit another stove. Probably only had 1 double door fit in 20 some years messing with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They must have burned tires or coal

I have seen plenty of burnt out fishers through the years. And burning coal wouldn't hurt the stove because the coal would never burn right without grates and a bottom air inlet. Tires yeah that would kill a stove pretty fast lol.

I don't know how you'd burn one out as long as you kept firebrick in it.
There is no firebrick on the top or the back around the collar which is where I usually see failures.

I have seen plenty of burnt out fishers through the years. And burning coal wouldn't hurt the stove because the coal would never burn right without grates and a bottom air inlet. Tires yeah that would kill a stove pretty fast lol.

The #2 stove we sold was to someone who sold coal. That’s all they burned in it. It drooped it was embarrassing to see it. Needless to say #1 was in much better shape.

The #2 stove we sold was to someone who sold coal. That’s all they burned in it. It drooped it was embarrassing to see it. Needless to say #1 was in much better shape.

How did they make coal work in it?

It was a mama I think. I never looked in it. I don’t know what they did.
I know a guy who drilled a hole in the top and dripped burnt oil in one for for fuel.
It was nasty.

Reactions: bholler
I guess it depends on what you call "burnt out". I would consider "burnt out" as a stove with warped sides which would cost more to repair than the stove was worth. I've seen cracks around the thimbles and cracks above the door opening which could be easily welded. I've never seen a top cracked or warped (which doesn't mean it can't happen, just that I've never seen it).

Last edited: