Making logs from fruit waste!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Hearth Supporter
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It seems like something that could be ramped up easily with the right equipment.

Reactions: MikeK and begreen
Usually residues from producing juice, oil, etc. are used to feed animals. I juiced three gallons of wild apple juice last year and gave all the "cake" to my chickens. I should have fermented it, because now I know they didn't get much nutritional value out of it the way I fed it to them. Most of the residues from making juice are cellulose, great for ruminants, not so much for poultry.

My friend used to have a cider mill, after pressing the pulp there were large square sheets of compressed pulp. He would throw it in wheelbarrow and feed it to the sheep. I called them sheep cookies and they really liked them especially if it was warm weather and they sat a few days.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceBus
We get a lot of pomace, which we give to the pig farmers. What surprised me in the video is that there weren't lots of bees and yellow jackets flying around the drying pomace. It attracts them when we do a large pressing.

Usually residues from producing juice, oil, etc. are used to feed animals. I juiced three gallons of wild apple juice last year and gave all the "cake" to my chickens. I should have fermented it, because now I know they didn't get much nutritional value out of it the way I fed it to them. Most of the residues from making juice are cellulose, great for ruminants, not so much for poultry.

Seems like they would have loved the bugs drawn to the mash though. I suspect ants, bees, wasps flies, worms, etc would have been all over it. It would have been like a trip to tge apple orchard 8n fall.

We get a lot of pomace, which we give to the pig farmers. What surprised me in the video is that there weren't lots of bees and yellow jackets flying around the drying pomace. It attracts them when we do a large pressing.

Good point. I can't see it being much different than a trip to the apple orchard in fall. Maybe their native pollinators are different ratios of birds, bees, wasps and flies down there? Are butterflies considered pollinators? I suppose they'd be.

The bees and wasps are more after the fruit sugars. There's no pollen at the point.

Right, by the time cider and such is being made here, frost has killed 90% of the flowers and the wasps are starving. Like you pointed out, I’d expect them to be going crazy with that being spread out.

Unless of course, they aren’t in that area.

I have no idea what pollinators are down there. If it was Australia, I’d expect the main pollinator to be a 6ft venomous snake… that flies. Australia seems to be full of stuff like that.