Making double wall chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

pfettig77

Feb 13, 2014
NW Wisconsin
Can I use some 8" or even another 6" piece of single wall over my single wall with a little gap instead of factory double wall? I just got home (1.5 hour round trip) after having spent too much money on stove supplies only to realize that double wall chimney doesn't just fit together like single wall because of the double crimped ends. I have to go out and get some more fittings (right?).

No you can't.
I'm not following you here. What is it that doesn't fit together? If it's all the same brand then it should fit together without additional fittings.

Selkirk pipe? What do you need?

I tried to make some home made insulated pipe. I have a 3 foot vertical run coming off of my stove, then it does a 90 and goes horizontal to go outside.
I burned the stove a couple of times and I found that the wall behind that 3 foot vertical section of single wall black pipe was too hot. So I made a home made insulated pipe. I got a 3 foot section of 8 inch pipe and attached it to the 6 inch vertical pipe with screws, so that, there was a 1 inch air space between the two pipes. I then packed that air space with pink fiberglass insulation. First, I tested the fiberglass by setting a chunk of it on the ground and heating it up with a blow torch. The fiberglass will not burn.

It didn't work worth a damn. The home made insulated pipe gave off just as much heat as the single wall pipe had given off, and the wall behind was too hot. I had to install a heat shield on the wall.
It makes you appreciate how good that double wall insulated stainless steel pipe is, because you can touch that pipe, with the stove running full blast, and it it barely warm.

Ok, false alarm. I just saw that both ends were crimped and hastily put them together to find they didn't insert. After I read webby's response I went back and tried a little harder and they fit together. I'm not sure why both ends are crimped like that. I'm learning. Slowly. By the way, I can't find any indication of a brand anywhere on the pipe or box it came in. The store sells Selkirk (Supervent) class A stuff - maybe that's what it is.

Does the box say DSP on it? The inner layer crimp goes down like single wall, and the outer (the end where inner and outer layers meet ) goes up. The DSP can be a bear to get a nice fit I found and the paint job was not the greatest, FWIW stove bright paint touched it up nice.

Sounds like Selkirk double wall connector pipe. It's known for not fitting together very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.