Major COLD for first 10 days of April. SNOW! (Northeast USA)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NewtownPA

Hearth Supporter
Feb 15, 2007
Newtown, PA
Don't put your firewood away just yet. It's coming and it's going to be colder the first week of April than it was the first week of January. Trust me.

These images are for April 6th and April 9th.

Attachments

• Major COLD for first 10 days of April. SNOW! (Northeast USA)
    gfs_slp_300m.gif
    66.3 KB · Views: 399
    gfs_slp_360m.gif
    63.2 KB · Views: 352
Sixty-nine degrees right now and Tuesday night we're getting snow. Isn't Spring wonderful.

Webmaster said:
Funny, I'm looking at the 10 day for Northern VT and it shows not a flake of snow - but showers!
I'm afraid no more skiing this year.

Southern VT should get some snow, but the majority of snowfall will be further south according to the current model forecast. See pic attachment.

Attachments

gfs_slp_312m.gif
    66 KB · Views: 358
Yep, Accu weather is calling for highs in the lower 40's and lows in the 20's the first week of April around here. But I never put any trust in those long range forcasts. Seems they are never right.

I just told my family that April fools day had rain/snow showers forcasted. I may have to buy 1 more face cord from another wood dude. The one I am going to ask is a little up the road from me and I am going to pick it up myself in the 93 suburban family/wood hauler.

doesn't it seem that you slip into a general weather pattern, and then it just perists. Finally it decides to change in its own time. Since about January 13th here in NH we slipped into a general pattern of storms passing to our south and cold artic air plunging in behind on high winds. Yeah it wasn't always like that but there sure were a lot of those events. And which winter matched the amount of sleet you had in Newtown this winter any time in recent memory? There has been an increase in seasonally moderate weather over the last 10 days, but I don't think this pattern is completely over yet. Cold coming in Newtown? I suspect seasonably cold weather due for us here too. Stay tuned. By the way, my brother used to live in Newtown. Nice place.

SNOW in April...thank God it isn't going to be in the 80s.....if it were Al Gore would be all over T.V telling us the "Sky is Falling"
Mike

doesn't have to be in the 80's, could be another blizzard, that doesn't change overall climte trends towards warmer global tempteratures that we've seen over the last decades. Northern hemisphere, just experienced it's warmest winter ever recorded. We may not be able to say with 100% certainty that the rise in global temperatures is due to human CO2 emissions, but if it isn't, there sure is unbelievable spooky coincidence between the increasing amounts of CO2 measured in the atmosphere and the rise in temps. I personally am not too eager to write off the conclusions of 1000 of the worlds best scientists. When theory, prediction and then observation all agree, I think it's time to sit up and take notice. I'll give Al credit for doing just that and suggesting we all might consider doing the same.

jpl1nh,

That's cool that your brother lived here in Newtown. My wife and I love it here. William Penn founded this town (after he designed Philadelphia) in the 1600's and he said "I'm going to call this my 'New Town'". Later it became known as "Newtown". :)

You are right about the sleet we had here! I think we got at least 5 or 6 inches of pure sleet this season! It's like walking in sand - really weird.

OK Its real not an apirl fools joke. Woke up to 2 inches of snow and its sticking. Looks like a snow globe out side, salt trucks are back out, hi 30, low 22. no brake till next week.

A SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT. PLEASE
REFER TO THE LATEST WINTER WEATHER STATEMENT

SNOW SHOWERS AND BLOWING SNOW WILL RESULT IN SQUALLY CONDITIONS
THROUGHOUT THE DAY. VISIBILITIES WILL BE PERIODICALLY REDUCED TO
A QUARTER MILE OR LESS...MAKING TRAVEL HAZARDOUS. SNOW
ACCUMULATIONS THROUGH THE DAY WILL GENERALLY BE 1 TO 3 INCHES...
WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS AROUND 4 INCHES IN THE MORE PERSISTENT LAKE ENHANCED BANDS

Time to throw some oak back in to the mix.

Looks like I may be able to head north and catch some spring skiing in VT.

They got 10 inches or more, and lots in the forecast for the whole next week - I think we will have "western" conditions until the rain starts!
I guess the weatherman called this one....

That LONG range forecast was pretty close. Weather is getting boring, what ever happened to the surprise a storm is hitting us days :(

Status
Not open for further replies.