Majestic 8inch id triple wall on woodchuck 2900. Will this work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Budsbud66

Jan 16, 2019
Wisconsin
I recently bought a ranch home that has 2 full length 3wall non insulated chimneys installed. Id like to hook up my woodchuck 2900 to the chimney. I am a bit confused because both 8 inch chimenys are identicle and placed 5 inchs apart. One has suit. The other appears to never been used. It appears these chimneys are prob 30 years old. Is there any reason I cant use the new appearing chimney?

Attachments

• Majestic 8inch id triple wall on woodchuck 2900. Will this work?
    20190115_131854.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 168
The label does not say what up standard it is listed to but it does state that it is made to be used with prefab fireplaces which typically do not use chimneys listed to ul 103 ht. And regardless without insulation the chimney is air cooled. This will cool the fluegasses leading to more creosote buildup than if it was an insulated chimney. I personally would not use it.

From what I found these were used on specific Majestic fireplaces. The instructions for those fireplaces don't have any specific chimney listing info and specifically state that any UL listing information would have been on the fireplace however the installation instructions for the chimney were included. Being that they are that old and have no documentation to verify anything against I would concur with bholler that they shouldn't be used. Your insurance company may have a similar opinion if they were aware of the same facts.

Reactions: bholler
I opted to just ditch them both. It was a mess. They filled the chimney surround with eps beads. Approx 500 gal of them. I swear ill be finding beads forever. Anyways. Using an old chimney to save 1000$ is prob just stupid logic. We can skimp on alot of things in this world but not chimneys and not beautiful women.
Wise decision.

I opted to just ditch them both. It was a mess. They filled the chimney surround with eps beads. Approx 500 gal of them. I swear ill be finding beads forever. Anyways. Using an old chimney to save 1000$ is prob just stupid logic. We can skimp on alot of things in this world but not chimneys and not beautiful women.
You can always use them to make some beanbag chairs.