Magnum 3500 Who knows these?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Watcher1

Burning Hunk
Sep 11, 2014
Ironton WI
So just throwing this out there. Has anyone tried the exhaust fan and motor out of a 6500? I checked the numbers and it looks like the 6500 had a better faster higher flowing fan set up. I am burning corn now with the cast iron pot, I can get about 7 hrs on number 2 before I need to clean the clinker. Also I wonder if I should have the damper out more I am out only about a half inch most times. I watched the Harman vid on here just now and wow what a fire dragon that looks like. Thanks.

Curious if you'd cleaned the back wall (up through the Clean-out trap doors with bottle brush) recently, along with using a leaf blower to suck out any remaing ash from stove and pipe. It sounds like it's getting plugged up if you can't get a lively flame. A slow flame would definitely contribute to burnpot filling up quickly.

Forgot to mention potential leaks through bad gaskets. This results in air bypassing burnpot holes and a slow flame.

Do you have the two large holes plugged/capped behind the firebrick? I think i used 1 1/2 inch plugs to make stove a bitore efficient.

Forgot to mention potential leaks through bad gaskets. This results in air bypassing burnpot holes and a slow flame.

Do you have the two large holes plugged/capped behind the firebrick? I think i used 1 1/2 inch plugs to make stove a bitore efficient.
O yah got all that taken care of, been using this a few years now.

Never needed any more exhaust fan than what was provided. Have you attempted to remove the fan and clean-blow out the motor? Oil it? If its working properly you don't need to have the damper pulled out much if at all. I had to trim the corners of several to slow down the flow. Or the motor is on it way way out or the fins are bad.
Another thing is the door gaskets can compress and leak or the door latch needs adjusting.

Good morning BB Lol yea So I pulled the damper a little more open and set it on 2 ran good all night and only a 1/2 full clinker this morning 18* outside here this morning and 62 upstairs (unit is in basement) so not bad. I scraped a 6500 so I have some parts. I bought this to replace a Baby. Anyway on the Baby I did all the upgrades cast pot better fan blade and so on, now thinking the 6500 fan and motor would be an upgrade on this unit. Lots of 3500p's around here cheap.

Lot of them around here in MN as well. Higher maintenance units and no auto ignition and the list goes on. They just never put any more time or $$$ into improving them. The pot stirrer bushing when it goes is a real PIA to replace. If one was stuck without access to prompt delivery of parts or someone to fix, the system is pretty easy to keep running.
I have two corn burners running this AM and they both hands down have the Magnum beat maintenance wise with needing only monthly cleaning and feed rate ability of down under 10k btus.

Yup, I was on to a Harman PC last fall but uncle sam hit me pretty hard. I keep watching craigs to see if it comes up again. If I get my office cleaned up I might find the number LOL. We dodged the snow here, how about you?

The storm hit us pretty hard with the rain freezing during the night and then lot of snow on top but hard to measure as the winds were well over 30 for the storm. Have a couple drifts that are 3 + feet high.
Don't know how often the Harman stoves will come up if the fuel prices start going up. Crude up well over a buck this AM. Propane with its use to dry lots and lots of corn spiked pretty good too.

The storm hit us pretty hard with the rain freezing during the night and then lot of snow on top but hard to measure as the winds were well over 30 for the storm. Have a couple drifts that are 3 + feet high.
Don't know how often the Harman stoves will come up if the fuel prices start going up. Crude up well over a buck this AM. Propane with its use to dry lots and lots of corn spiked pretty good too.
WOW! So glad it missed us!

Status
Not open for further replies.