Madison in cathedral ceiling - pipe length?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BamaRama

Apr 18, 2015
Colorado
Did a new build during the summer and had Excel square support box with 11' of class a Excel pipe installed through 2x12 rafters in a 10/12 cathedral ceiling about 16' off the floor. So there i am with a beautiful flue extension just waiting for the smoke. I picked up a Madison (50‐SHSSW01) yesterday and now I see in the manual that "In the case of cathedral ceilings, the prefabricated chimney system should extend to 8.0 ft. from the top of the unit."

So i think I'm in a bind here. I'll need about 12-13' of pipe (using durablack single wall) to get up there and there's no way (that I know of) to extend the class a down to attach the pipe. The flue extension sits in the bottom of the box with the chimney attached.

Now what? help? I'm looking at this from a local authority standpoint. I figure it will work fine.

TIA
David
Madison in cathedral ceiling - pipe length?

This more or less is prob the solution that Englander made to reduce any chance of creosote build up in the piping systems to due flue gases cooling off (since many people would just do a single wall run) I'd double check with the rep about using just double wall black pipe from flue collar to ceiling support box.

Reactions: BamaRama
Bad documentation. It's not recommended to exceed an 8' run in single-wall stovepipe. Use double-wall stovepipe to reduce the heat losses in the stovepipe and it will be fine, but technically in violation of the manual. The manual calls for extending the class A pipe down to the 8' level. That is a fairly clunky solution and very rarely done. As kenny suggested, get the tech rep to ok doing this with double-wall stovepipe - in writing.

If they won't budge and you want to stay manual compliant, get a different stove.

Last edited:
Reactions: BamaRama
The manual is wrong per Englander tech support. The 8' limit applies only to single wall. Double wall can go up to 15'. I have it writing so I'm off to the races. It's getting cold up here.

Good deal. They should get that fixed.

He said in his email that changes to the manual are in the works.

I think the problem that some have run into with a lot of single wall pipe is that you get a lot of heat from the pipe into the room. Sounds like a good thing initially, but you also have to run the stove a little hotter to still get a good draft. So hotter stove plus a bunch of exposed pipe and some have run into issues where they can't burn the stove low enough and end up 'overheating' the living space. So something to consider with a lot of exposed pipe.