m 55 enviro convection fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bran

Dec 26, 2020
so maine
does anyone know how to get the black plastic cover off the motor so to gain acsess to the bearings on the motor

I have never seen a plastic cover on an Enviro combustion fan
The bearings are non-serviceable
Could you post a photo!
Welcome to the forum

Dam I should learn to read
The cover is pressed on if you pry it off the
tangs that hold it will break.
The bearings are sealed with no oil ports.
If you remove the dust shields to lub the bearing
You then need to keep them clean and oiled often

is it possible to get the motor cover off without breaking it?i would like to change the bearings with better ones

I have never been able to maybe Ssyko has he will see this post
and give you an answer

Post a pic of your motor if you would

I don't have it here as I took it to a shop to see if they could fix it. If you look up a convection fan for a enviro m55 fs you can see what it looks like. If it went on its got to come off somehow

It justs snaps into place.
When you try to remove it it breaks where it snaps into place
At least the 2 I tried did

It looks like it is pressed on the end of the shaft. When you got yours off could you get to the bearing so that it can be changed. All the cover does is keep dust and heat out. I think if it broke taking it off that you may be able to glue it back together

Yes if you have the equipment to do it they are replaceable
If you are doing it for yourself it may be worth the time and effort
But for me doing it for a customer it is cheaper just to install a new one
The service call, shop time, and parts cost more than a new aftermarket unit
Just the way things are nowadays. Planed obsolescence.

Reactions: SidecarFlip
I posted a tutorial w/ photos on another pellet forum (don't know that I am allowed to mention it here) under "convection fan". If you are referring to the round metal dust cover, use an awl and carefully work your way around the inner rim, not from the outside. That will preserve the dust cover and it will press back into position. If you make a hole in it, you could use high temp RTV to fill the hole.

The only one i ever worked on was not worthy of removing the cover, it had seized up and had to be replaced. If you are capable of changing your own pressed on bearings i would hope you could figure out how the cover comes off. If that is the downfall i would recommend a new blower then experiment with the old one.

Yes I bought a new blower and installed it but I wanted a spare. Not liking spending 200 dollar's for 2 5.00 bearings

So take a flat blade screwdriver and work the cover off. Change the bearings put it in the box the new one came in and mark it spare.

Is this what you are referring to? If so, try to work it loose w/ an awl. If it breaks, you should be able to improvise a dust cover.

yes that is the back side of the motor. Is the bearing under that cover or under the plastic cover on the other side of the motor

1. remove the dust cover, snap ring and two washers. Note their orientation. You can see the first bearing at the base of the rod.

2. separate the two halves of the motor.

3. push out each bearing (there are 2).

4. push in new bearings; reassemble. Done!

Attachments

• m 55 enviro convection fan
    DSCF4506.JPG
    247.9 KB · Views: 77
  • m 55 enviro convection fan
    DSCF4505.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 77
Think the only thing I would have done differently was plunk both new bearings in a Dixie cup of motor oil ands let them soak for a day or so. Keep in mind that the shielded bearings you have are only dust shielded. Oil will penetrate under the dust shield. Do that as a springtime maintenance thing and I've never had a bearing go bad in 15 years.

Yes if you have the equipment to do it they are replaceable
If you are doing it for yourself it may be worth the time and effort
But for me doing it for a customer it is cheaper just to install a new one
The service call, shop time, and parts cost more than a new aftermarket unit
Just the way things are nowadays. Planed obsolescence.
Boy am I glad you aren't working on my stove... I'm cheap......lol